updating from 2008 to 2009

Yes & no. There was a thread discussing existing templates and workspaces carried over from 12 & 2008 into 2009 but I can't find it now.(?) The result of the thread was if your templates were created in 2008 they should work fine in 2009. Your workspace however, should be rebuilt from the stock workspace provided in the new edition so that any new plugins/commands are available. Setting changed in you plugin editor would also need to be redone because the plugins will be refreshed or new versions. Plugins/scripts you have create or added will need to be moved into your new 2009 user library & workspace. I hope this heIps & is correct.

Templates created in editions prior to VW 2008 had a question hanging over them in the thread I mentioned above but the problem may have been specific to a users configuration. Ray Libby was looking further into this. Ray?

I didn't received an answer from the originator of the thread about templates on exactly what was wrong. I haven't heard another case of a template from v2008 causing problems in v2009 and I could be wrong, but I really don't think it's a problem.

Your workspace should be rebuilt from a stock v2009 workspace for all the reasons M5d stated.