Problem - Please Help!!

I regularly recieve drawings from an OS mapping company, now the drawing has been brought into vectorworks but it still has all of its (there) Classes.

I was wondering if there was a way in which i could import the drawing so as the Classes on there drawing would update to the classes on my drawing.

For example > Class G80121009 > Roads. << My layer

I am just wondering if there is a way to automate the process rather than going in and renaming 400 layers?

Thanks in advance for anyone who could point me in the right direction.

Matt

Edited by Maryhill Matt

The most automated way I have found is to use the "Class and Layer Mapping" tool. It takes some getting used to, and you can save your results to a .txt file for future recall. Another way is to highlight several classes you wish to "merge" into one of your existing classes, and simply right click & delete them. You will get prompted as to what to do with the objects on the classes you are deleting. One of the options is to reassign them to another class.

hope this helps.

Matt

Matt,

With VW2008 & 2009, the other option is to simply import the AutoCAD file, as is, as a separate "reference" file, then create a DLVP in your desired project document to point to this AutoCAD "reference" file. That way none of the AutoCAD layer/class names are imported, you can draw over the top of them as needed and if the info changes, you simple re-import the AutoCAD data into the "reference" file, save and update the project file reference link.