rendering windows

mike-h

for a nice renderworks rendering of an elevation, what should I set the 'render' property of windows to in the object info palette? and do they apply to the frame, the pane, or both? I changed all mine to glass or clear, - both seem to come out grey all over, except for about 50% of the windows set to clear appear to have transparent frames too!

any pointers?

thanks

as I haven't managed to lure anyone in to my problem, maybe a picture will tempt you fine folk out there!

all the windows are set to clear - but some are more clear than others. Any ideas gratefully received...

(I also am not sure what the blocking of different greys on the northlight are - on the right hand side I put a couple of light sources inside to 'simulate' the north - light, but it seems to be leaching through the windows/ frames/ solid matter.??)

thanks

Mike

Mike,

I think for the best results you need to go back into the model and select the windows and doors and adjust the "Special Classes" under the "View" tab of the "Settings..." dialog. Note there is also a pull-down for "Glazing".

Then, I would adjust the global class attribute settings for the Style classes assigned to these parts and try to re-render. You should get better results.

SORRY! time to update my profile - I just went over to 2008 a couple of weeks ago. I hope you've not dug too far Jeffrey, apologies...

Thanks for the help... if I've got it right I've gone to each window individually (selecting a whole bunch then adjusting the settings doesnt seem to work as it would for, say, selecting multiple viewports then adjusting class visibilities), gone to 'view' then set all the 'jamb & sash', 'sill' etc to 'style-1' and 'glazing' to clear. Then in the class organisation palette I've set 'style-1' to plain white fill and 0.05 black pen.

This seems to have made things more consistent, but some frames still don't seem to show up, would it be better to apply a texture to style-1 (I just want plain white-ish frames really, and don't want to increase render time with unnecessary textures if I can help it). I'm not sure if I grasp the basic concept of how un-textured objects render and how opaque they are - they seem to come up in photographic grey - what is the best plain white texture to use as 'default' if things are generally better textured than not. (other items seem to work fine in default rendered grey). Am trying now with style-1 as 'paint glossy attr. colour'. (and where does the eyedropper come in?).

thanks for your help - sorry if I'm rambling or have missed the obvious but I'm new to the rendering game, having satisfied myself with hidden line in the past...

also...I notice that for doors, sidelight glazing options does not include 'clear', and does the glazing in the actual door count as 'int/ ext panel'? as there is no door glazing option...

one thing that seems to be helping is tidying my windows into single units with multiple elements, but a recurring problem I have is unwanted framing around the outside (see picture). How do I get rid of this? If I deselect the sill option it goes, but so does my sill. I thought I was stuck with it but I have managed to produce a window without, but can't work out where the settings differ...

thanks again

mike

just to follow that, attached is the latest render. Windows have improved, but you can see the problems caused by the extra framing (partic by french doors top left, between windows lower left). But I just don't know what is happening with the northlights, clearly visible in the hidden line version. The framework (in red) is built up of extrudes, to represent an assembly of glulam elements, these are all textured as 'paint glossy attr color', the windows are positioned in the frame and settings adjusted for clear glazing, jambs etc as 'style-1' as above - but what's going on in the render??? any ideas welcomed!

thanks

mike

Mike,

Submit a bug for the "fake wall" in the Window PIO Settings Dialog. This should not be happening.

File another regarding the way extra lines are showing between closely spaced windows.

In addition to filing the bugs, I'll be sure to bring this topic to the attention of an engineer. The bug submittal from you is very important as it generates an official, properly channeled "paper trail".

The glazing in a door IS handled by setting both the INT/EXT panels to be a glass styled class. Make sure they are set to the same class. They make look a little darker than other glazed objects using the same glazing class. The sidelights for doors are controlled by the Transom Glass settings (I know, I know, doesn't exactly make a lot of sense, but is the case, for now).

I would be sure that all your viewports have their class settings set to revert back to their original (global) settings.

I almost never use white as a fill color for objects that I wish to view in 3D rendered modes. I can never seem to get it to look right. Try using the lightest grey colors or very feint off-whites from one of the new expanded color palettes. I'll ask Dave Donley (our Rendering Guru Engineer) for his opinion.

hi brudgers,

the northlights aren't 'in' anything (as in not like a window-in-wall), I built up the frame (effectively a big open web, or vierendeel girder) from extrudes and just positioned the windows. I kind of understood that windows don't need to be 'locked in' to show up - see Damondesigns suggestion for rooflights

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=110266#Post110266

they show up allright on the hidden line so I know they're in the right place.. do I need to do further monkeying to get them to render? Would it be better to use a 'wall' for the beam? It seems odd that they're there but not showing, the girder that contains them also seems to still be letting light through...

cheers

I've just tried it with a wall instead - results attached. Looks fine in 3D (at least you can see the frame) but in elevation you'd struggle to guess whats there).

Edited by mike-h
Mike,

Submit a bug for the "fake wall" in the Window PIO Settings Dialog. This should not be happening.

File another regarding the way extra lines are showing between closely spaced windows.

Jeffrey - what do you mean by 'fake wall' - is that the extra lines side and top of the window in the screenshot posted? If so I am sure that is also the cause of the extra lines between closely spaced windows. Are you saying you haven't seen these occur before?

I've not submitted a bug before, but will try and do so...

mike