Vector Works 10.5.1 Student edition with Vista??

marcj

Question

Hi,

Please help!! Just bought a new laptop with Vista home premium on and can't seem to install VW properly. I've got all the updates for vista, updated the dongle driver, tried installing/uninstalling loads of times with/without the virus software on (Norton), and have tried running VW as an admin. Keep getting the message that VW doesn't recognize the dongle serial number. Although it worked fine on the XP Pro laptop I was running it on before.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Marc

Edited by marcj

5 answers to this question

Just spoke to said mate - he's running device driver Aladdin Hasp Key version 5.40.0.0, whereas mine is 5.50.0.0, any idea where I can get that version of the driver. I downloaded the zip file at the top of the list on Alladin says version 4.102.5.02.

My mate can't remember where he got his from.

Thanks

To be honest. I would not bother. The dongle issue may be visible, but its the issues that you can't see that you will not be able to resolve that I would worry about.

I tried 11.5 Student on Vista and had the dongle issue. Tried to resolve it. I ended up with something completely unstable and I could not trust it not to crash. Not good in the middle of an important assignment.

In the end, I went 2008, and it was so much of an improvement on 11.5 that I did not regret the decision even though it cost me tons as in the end, the student version was dead money as I knew I was going to need a commercial license before the year was out.

Depending on where you are, the latest version of the student edition will either be free or heavily subsidised. Plus you will get the latest 2009 version.

Another option is to fall back to XP.