Export elevations to DWG...

mike mcneil

How do I export out elevations so that they are not scaled? If I export the plan sheets layers, the plan information on the design layers exports to Modelspace in Autocad, meaning the drawing information is in real world dimensions. But if I export elevation sheets, the drawing information exports to Paperspace in Autocad and is shrunk to the drawing scale. Do I need to set up sheets in a different manner to achieve this, if so how? Or is there some way I can extract the elevation linework without tracing the elevations and placing it on a design layer. I give out elevation dwgs to some consultants and the idea of them using any type of scaled drawing information does not sit well with me.

Thanks,

Had a request for DWGs of the Cathedral elevations last week. Using SheetLayers with titleblock & elevation grid & DLayers overlaid for a total of 3 Viewports. The elevations were rendered with OpenGL, and export as image layers and the rest exports as standard line & text. Works great ... looks sexy , too !

And avoids the hiddenline & filled poly weirdness issues and delays.

Also, the elevation image is static and keyed to the elevation grid scale.

Keep in mind that the Viewports were 'dumbed down' for the DWG export... specifically to simplify and speed up the process ( avoiding Filled-Poly & Hiddenline issues ):

VP1=title & elevation grid sheet

VP2=Bldg Elevation rendered as OpenGL image

VP3=Section Grid

East & West Elevations

The elevation grids are separate VP Layers and can be sent to back in the DWG:

North & South Elevations

The design is still preliminary and being developed by various groups.

So as I understand it. You are creating render OpenGL bitmap images which you overlay a reference grid?

I have just tried to export a SLVP of the front view of simple model in set to OpenGL rendering with draw edges checked and the whole model is exported as a 3D group (block in Autocad.) A section viewport used as an elevation also rendered in OpenGL of the same model is exported as a block with and imbedded bitmap of the OpenGL rendering.

It seems to me the only method that I have found to come close to what I would like is using the "Convert to Lines" command for the section viewports and DLVP with out a crop applied. Just seems weird the I have to delete the crop in order for this command to work. Well, actually is just seems weird the I have to go through this process at all to extract 2D line work from my model.

By the way is there any way I can eliminate the duplicate line work from the converted lines? In Autocad there is a command called "overkill" which will do this for you. Is there a script to do this? If not how easily could one be written? I am a complete novice at scripts so I would need lots of help in that area.

So as I understand it. You are creating render OpenGL bitmap images which you overlay a reference grid?

Right you are...

after reading your comment, I went back and reviewed the file ( created 5+ yrs ago ).

I created a working VP for OGL rendering and then exported each of the 4 elevations @ 300dpi ( saved as jpg ).

Then imported the images back into DLayers for layerlink to the Elevation VPs with the grids, etc.

The key to the process is to make sure the image dimensions exactly matches the structural wire frame.

Hence the need for the working VP to convert the rendered structural elevations to the image at the same resolution&size as the Plansheet VP.

The snap-to Crop box allows use of the Marquee Tool for correct border sizing.

This simple yet elegant technique works with all the render/sketch settings.