Crashes on opening file

I have a file that refused to open today. First I get the spinning beach ball, then the clock, then VW quits without notice. The file worked fine for months. It's a site plan with a survey that was imported. The survey was imported to a blank file that became the site plan. There are external references to a floor plan file. We leave the working files on our server. But I've tried copying the file from the server to my workstation then opening it there-no change. I've tried opening it from another work station -no change. I've tried repairing permissions -no change.

The file size is 3.9 mgs

Looks like toast to me. Is there anything more to try?

The only significant change since it last opened is that I installed the latest Mac security fix. It's not likely this is the issue because I've tried to open it on another computer that has not had the security fix installed.

VW 2008 SP3 Fundamentals, Architect , Mac OS 10.5.5 1.83 Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

You may want to try copying the file to a hardrive, disconnect from your server, then open and click "Do not look for Broken References". There have been numerous issues regarding files with multiple references, circular references, etc. If this is the issue, then there are a few workarounds (even if not ideal) for reorganizing your file structure, but at least you have your file back.

Well, that's been the advice from the powers that be at NNA... all roads lead to Rome. Although, you most likely work as I do in terms of needing the current Architectural Plans feeding the Current Landscape Plan and vice-versa (or some scenario requiring a loop).

I've actually had this issue pop up a few times and it wasn't until Pat (The VW Guru) saved my neck, that I even recognized the references as the source of the problem. Since then I must say that Tech Support and the engineers at NNA (namely Jefferey Oullette) has expressed their concern with the issue and seem determined to resolve it.

Edited by C W

I've been looking for circular references but can't find them. There are some goofie looking things I'm wondering about though. When I pull down Window>filename>References, I see 2 referenced files and all of the worksheets that reside in one of the referenced files. The worksheets do not appear in the target file- they are not on the viewport layers referenced.

Perhaps one of the NNA engineers will be interested in this.

Thanks