3d rotation, 3d views - VW2009

I haven't seen any discussions yet on 3d rotation and 3d views.

i have yet to see version 2009 so if anyone who has can answer, please do.

It sounds like this new kernel is going to bring VW to a very professional level in 3d modeling, which we should all be thankful for - this is a huge step and not only will it make our work easier, it will increase the seats of VW users, making hiring easier

other steps which need to be taking are:

_the way you move around a 3d object in VW - the grab and rotate capabilities.

_2, 3, and 4 different views of the model contemporarity - at the present, VV allows you to only have one view at a time of a 3d model.

my question is, has this release of VW been changed regarding these issues and/or has NM addressed these implementations, and if yes, how?

Edited by timpower

This is a big issue for me as well working in the Trade show exhibit design field. We've been trying to incorporate VW into our workflow since version 8 but just can't warm up to the crude 3D capabilities.

We're currently working in Cinema4D and would like to do the majority of our modeling in a true CAD application (for the benefit of our fabrication and CNC department) but feel like it's just too much of a step backwards in regard to creating and modifying objects in 3D. Very little of our work process is done in a 2D environment.

I'm hoping that, even if version 2009 doesn't address the current shortcomings, that 2010 will as the programing team learns to exploit the capabilities of the Parasolids kernel.

In my judgement, you'll be waiting for a long time. Changing the core libraries was not the necessary next step required to make VW a better program. Changing the user interface, the 3D interaction, the 3D editing were, the automation of sheet production, and section tools were (at a minimum). Watch one of the '09 promo videos to see NNA admit '08 shortcomings. When '10 comes out, will they admit another round of deficiencies?

I'd love VW to be a usable, fun and productive 3D modeling package, but we've been waiting and waiting and waiting for a more usable 3D interface, so only touch the 3D when we must. Before all the VW defenders jump on board, I'd like VW to be as quick to use as SketchUp and until it is, we'll still be waiting and waiting and waiting.

A demo version would be nice.

Try this link, tick the check box for a trial version!!

http://www.nemetschek.net/infokit/infokit.php

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Still, Maxon provides the demo as a download with ability to save. No need to install, just unzip & open C4D, no wasted packaging, printed material or discs.

Off topic (sorry), I dual boot my PC with XP and Ubuntu 8.0.4 and found that I am able to open and run C4D from within the Linux partition even though it is installed on the Windows side.

gh

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Still, Maxon provides the demo as a download with ability to save. No need to install, just unzip & open C4D, no wasted packaging, printed material or discs.

I bet Cinema 4D does not have the amount of data that VW comes with. Even the VW service packs come in at well over 200MB. My Vectorworks install is 4.7GB and the install disc is a DVD so its going to have alot of material.

Its more than likely that a VW demo is going to be too big for a reasonable download.

I bet Cinema 4D does not have the amount of data that VW comes with. Even the VW service packs come in at well over 200MB. My Vectorworks install is 4.7GB and the install disc is a DVD so its going to have alot of material.

Its more than likely that a VW demo is going to be too big for a reasonable download.

C4D R11 demo = 435MB download, ~950MB after decompressing.

Maxon leaves out most textures and other goodies from the demo, I'm sure NNA could configure something similar. In my 12.5 Arch, the Libraries folder is by far the largest component.

gh

My opinion is not formed from watching videos, merely reinforced by them. I've been using VW for about 6 years, and watched the software get generally better, while NNA fails to rectify bugs and incomplete features. Read the thread on the infamous pdf bug here for a awful NNA response to an easy to solve problem. This was a bug that persisted through at least 5 major version updates. NNA was, how shall I phrase this delicately, being dishonest with their customers over years, blaming Apple for one of their own bugs.

But hey, if you like the user interface, more power to you, but you should spend a few hours with ArchiCAD (another NNA product) which although has many limitations, runs circles around VW for speed and ease of use. BTW, I know an engineer who continues to use a command line interface for everything he does. More power to him too.

And just to be clear, SketchUp has a terrible 3D engine. Its 2 and 3D capabilities are very primitive. It cannot handle 2D or 3D curves, let alone NURBS, it cannot model 3D solids, it cannot create solids of rotation, intersect volumes or most of the things that a 3D program should be able to do. It can't even render anything approaching photorealistic images. It is a simple 3D surface modeler created for speed and ease of use. However, it is wildly popular (and was even before Google bought it). Why? Because its interface is simplicity itself. Anyone can learn the program in a couple of hours, and can produce great looking models. No training disks required. And I'd guess most VW users close VW and launch SketchUp to create initial studies and client presentations.

What VW needs is to make their software something like as clean and easy to use as SketchUp, not improve the 3D libraries. Just read the user posts. Almost no one is complaining about the quality of the 3D displays, but many people grumble about the bugs, usability and the user interface.

My ongoing grumble has that I can't apply a texture to a wall, and have it render correctly in elevation, i.e. I'd like brick to render like bricks in 3D, but like a 2D rendering of brick in my construction document elevations. How about fixing that before upgrading to Parasolids, so we don't have to hand draw over our sections to make them look professional?

I can't apply a texture to a wall, and have it render correctly in elevation, i.e. I'd like brick to render like bricks in 3D, but like a 2D rendering of brick in my construction document elevations.

This is a prescient observation and deserves some thought. Why is it that texture maps are not hybrid ?

What if a BrickTextureMap also contained hyperlinks to a 2d Elevation Hatch & ImageProp selection.

The wall could be modeled via render or shown as a flat graphic via the 2dHybrid elevation links.

This would also help ameliorate the HiddenLine issues.

Is this doable ?