class organisation

Hi,

I'm getting a bit tired of browsing through miles-long class lists and VW help doesn't give satisfactory solutions so I hope someone in here can help:

when importing surveyors or consultants drawings (usually dwg files) we end up with dozens of classes which we do not use ourselves. Finding our own classes amongst them is often a pain and requires lots of scrolling. using ways round it (numbering, company initial prefix, underscores) helps only to a certain extend.

VW help suggests mapping classes, but that merges all survey data into one single class (which, if you want to refer back to it, could prove a significant loss).

Sometimes the class list displays a brown dot instead of the standard black square. once you put your cursor over it it then displays a list (sometimes only one) of sub-classes.

that seems to be exactly what I'm after but I cannot figure out how to do this.

any suggestions?

kellerlichter

Not sure what you mean by prefix because there's a setting in DWG import that allows you to give all imported classes a prefix class, which then nests all the imported classes under whatever prefixed class you chose.

The other thing you can do is import the DWG into a separate file and then Workgroup Reference this file into your main file using Design Layer Viewports. This avoids importing the classes into your main file altogether.

Check out your Help menu if you don't understand some of these terms.

Guest Wes Gardner

As Christiaan points out, the "Shuttle File" method will provide you with the means to work efficiently without all the "messy" Acad layers cum classes. It'll also reduce file size...

I think alot of folks will agree they never directly import an Acad file into their VW work.

Wes

Any idea whether the nesting bit (I take it that's when the brown dot appears in the classes list) can also be retrospectively?

Yeap, the dot denotes the nesting I mentioned. And, no, unfortunately the only way to do this retrospectively is to go through and edit each class manually, pasting your prefix (e.g. Survey-) into the Name. I used to do this all the time however. Takes about 15-30 minutes a file but it's well worth the effort.