Print PDF to same folder as VW file??

mmoriarty

Question

I always print pdf's of my sheet layers and up until the other day I would get a dialog box and could give the pdf a different file name and browse to the location I wanted the pdf saved to. Now, I get the same dialog box but pdf ends up on my C drive and the name is the same as the VW file with a .pdf extension instead of the .vwx

This is a VW thing. . .all my other applications still print pdf's like always. I just upgraded to SP3 this morning hoping that would fix the problem but no luck.

Has anyone else had this happen and is there fix?

I still can make a pdf but now it requires a few extra steps (finding the file on the C drive, renaming and moving to the correct folder.) So, I guess its not a huge problem but it sure slows things down.

4 answers to this question

I'm using VW 2008 sp3, Spotlight, Windows XP.

The problem with exporting a pdf from VW is that when its opened in Illustrator it does not retain the font information (fonts are substituted and the original font name is not retained anywhere so you can't even replace the substituted fonts with the correct ones.) This also happens with the 3rd party pdf driver I referenced in a previous post.

I realize this doesn't seem like a big problem but the graphics people use the pdf output frequently (using Illustrator on a Mac)and it drives them crazy trying to track down the correct fonts or having to entirely recreate the text.

Its not worth pursuing. I was just hoping someone had run into this before and had a simple fix.