Site Model Input Problem - Can't Convert 2D Polygons to 3D Countours

sfatelier

I have all of my 2d polygons waiting to be converted to contours. After filling in all of the appropriate information in the Parameter box, I clicked OK and wait for the first polygon to be highlighted. Nothing is happening. What could the problem be? There are no polylines...only 2d polygons.

Thanks

Edited by sfatelier

So, if you have 2D polygons, I first suggest being sure they are actually polygons.

Select all -> Modify -> Convert -> Convert to Polygons.

Now go to AEC -> Survey Input -> 2D Polys to 3D Contours -> Set Start Height and Interval

->Now one of the poly's should appear highlighted so you can set it's height...

Also, be SURE that your polygons are not overlapping each other.

I can't find the Purge command. Is it the same as smoothing? Re gmm18. None of the polygons are overlapping and I went through the steps you suggested. Version 2008

My fault. Purge Polygons is not in VWA 2008 -- I got it from Vectorbits.com. It's a great essential command, though, if you ever get cad survey files. Before I used that plugin, I relied on the "Simplify Polys" script command to clean up polys, but I'm not sure it works with version 2008.

sfatelier, my guess is still something is going on with your polygons.

But to help narrow this down (maybe you have already done this):

I suggest drawing up a handful of polygons. To be quick you can just draw 5 concentric circles using the circle tool, then Modify>Convert to Polygons

Then run the AEC>SurveyInput>2D Polys to 3D Contours...

If you get this to work, then the problem you are experiencing is likely still your source polygons. Maybe try re-generating them from scratch in a new file.

If this test doesn't work, then something else is at play...

The "2D Polys to 3D Contours" command does work with 2D polygons, so that's no problem. Another command that works for site models is the Modify -> Convert to 3D Polys. I still suspect that the source 2D polygons have vertices too narrowly spaced along the path. Smoothing is not a factor, if you are referring to the curves. But simplifying the 2D polygons (deleting vertices) always improves the performance of the Site Model. I've always had painfully sluggish performance otherwise, albeit on a PowerPC.