Matching 2D & 3D orientation & origin for Hybrid objects

matts

I am having some difficulty matching the orientation and origin of 3D Objects with their 2D bases. I have a complex 3D drawing containing many extruded 3d objects that need to be constantly updated by manipulating the 2D base.

Unfortunately Vectorworks only remembers the original position of the 2D base object independant of any new orientation or origin of the extruded 3D object. Is there any way I can get Vectorworks to change the orientation and origin of the 2D to match the new position of the 3D?

Any tips would be appreciated.

As far as I know there is no solution to this problem. The only thing you can do to avoid this is by moving the original 2D shape around, instead of moving the 3D object. I realise that this might be cumbersome when you use peculiar extrusion angles.

I'm also very interested to see / hear if another solution exists.

Cheers,

BaRa

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Tapered extrude created from a NURBS curve profile could be of some use here. When you edit the Tapered Extrude using edit group, the orientation would be matching, though the profile origin would be shifted to world (0, 0) - thus offset from the surfaces (turn display other objects while inside group ON). Perhaps not a good solution.