Exporting to EPS is inaccurate on PC

When I export to EPS, I need to be able to print out my document accurate to at least 2540 dpi. However, when I export, I find that a lot of stuff is just a little bit off. Certain shapes are a bit warped, lines are thicker than in VW format, etc.

This needs to be accurate to 10^-5 meters. Why can't the EPS export be this accurate?

-Chuck

When you say PC,I assume you are talking Windows. On Macs, I have had problems with VW's export in a similar fashion, specifically that VW entities drawn over an imported bitmap shift slightly when exported to EPS. My way around this is to never use the export function. I print to an eps file instead. This gives a representation the same as a paper print (to a postscrpt printer). However, it also gives a larger, noneditable eps file, which is ok for my work. As indicated by the previous poster, PDF would also work, though i would suggest a true Adobe PDF made with Acrobat.

I don't know about on a PC, but on a Mac, the Vectorworks EPSF export seems to export at 72 dpi no matter what, fairly worthless. So to get an EPS with a decent resolution we use our PostScript printer driver and "save to file" as mentioned by Mike above.

The LaserWriter 8 driver produces excellent EPS's right from within VectorWorks and will support any resolution allowed by the printer. These EPS files can also be opened in Illustrator as vector drawings and can be manipulated there as far as I know.

If you go to Adobe's website, for free, you can download the Adobe PS 8.7 postscript driver which produces the same results as the LaserWriter driver. Again this is for a Mac, but I would think Adobe would offer a Windows driver as well, but I'm not sure.

Hope this helps,

PeterT