option for circular tick mark at col lines within a dim string

sparchitect

Question

A feature that we used all the time at my old office (BCJ) using microstation, was to be able to differentiate a dim tick that is to the face of something (which is typical) versus a dim that is to a centerline of something (typically a col line) with a circular tick mark, rather than a diagonal mark. This is a great way to clarify for the builder in the field that a particular dim is not to something he/she can see, but rather to an abstract datum that needs to be related to. I don't know why this isn't standard practice in architectural drafting; it avoids a lot of potential confusion, and makes the drawing easier to read. Anyone aware of a way to do this in VW, or if not, can we add this feature please? Thanks!

3 answers to this question

You can create and use multiple "Dimension Standards" in a drawing. The marker type is one of the attributes of the standard. You can change the standard for any selected dimension in the Object Info Palette.

Dimension Standards are specified in the Document Preferences, so you probably want to make sure to put the custom standards into your template(s) so you will always have them.

Pat

I think the problem is Vectorwork can not have different tick on both side of dimension such as when we need to define the dimension from center of column to rim of wall. How can I draw diemension that one side is circular for centerline another is tick for rim.

In VW2008 it can do something like I wish in line attribute. You can set both end of line with different endpoint. So I think VW2009 can do the same with dimension. Thanks