Window with Stone Jambs

What can one do to eliminate this effect?

WindowStoneJambs.JPG

Note that the stone wall is not as tall as the window.

The brick wall sits on top of the stone and the window goes where it is shown.

I suspect VW v12.5+ isn't up to this task. Am I right?

Edited by ErichR

No this would happen in 2008 too.

You can manually edit the wall vertices.

Get in a front view, then use the 3D Reshape tool to add vertices to the

wall and reshape it around the bottom of the window.

You will do the same thing on the brick wall above,

this time reshaping the wall around the top of the window.

Tip: Try to have that nice warm feeling that the window is in the

right place before doing the reshape, otherwise you will have to

just go back and keep editing the walls...

I got it to work by having the window NOT in the wall.

So when you select it, the OIP just says "window," not "window in wall."

I don't know if there is a better way of doing this.

I think it was addressed in this forum somewhat recently.

picture6qn9.png

EDIT: I found the thread I was thinking of, and followed Pat Stanford's link

to a movie tutotial he made on this topic: "Notch_Walls_Around_Windows"

http://vectortasks.com/Movies/Movies.html

I watched it, and at the very end he shows that he did have to use the 3D Reshape

method, however, his window was still a "window in wall" and it did not have this

problem. Screenshot:

picture10jn2.png

What are we doing wrong here that we have to disconnect the window

from the wall in addition to the 3D Reshape?

Edited by gmm18

gmm18, I put the window in a wall of it's own and stopped the adjacent walls short. Your solution produces a simpler fix. When I tried your method in v12.5, I get a combination of rendered and unrendered lines within the window image.

The video doesn't really tell us much more than we already know, although you thought of that method before I did.

This is really Mickey Mouse, to use a highly technical term, and very impractical if your have a bunch of windows to be rendered.

One conclusion is that VW works best for plain vanilla archicture; get creative, and you're going to run into this sort of roadblock, unfortunately.

Yes, I am on vacation. I have been watching the thread, but just had time tonight to look at the pictures.

You have to notch both the top and bottom stacked walls. Every wall has a top and bottom surface. If you don't raise/lower them, you get the "threshold" effect on doors and the extra lines you are seeing on windows.

You are right, it is a pain if you have lots of windows to do.

What about making a custom texture (create a tileable length in photoshop) that has the stone on the bottom and whatever you want on the top. Then you can put just a single wall in the rendering.

Also, the notching works best with doors/windows with trim. Due to a limitation in VW 2008 and before, the "notch" can't be vertical. I think is has a minimum of either 1/8 of an inch or 1% or something like that. Try it and see if you are really interested.

The other possibility as was mentioned above is to use multiple walls. One wall the height of the bottom sill of the window, one wall from the top of the windows up and multiple walls between the windows.

Personally, unless you have a lot of windows (20+, 50+), I would recommend the notch procedure. Once you get going, it is actually quite fast. For a bunch of windows in the same wall, start at each end and make a big notch around the entire set of windows, then go back and pull the wall up/down between each window.

Pat