Move by Points tool

I have just upgraded to 2008. The new "Move by Points" tool... Is there something I am missing? Why is a MOVE tool combined with a duplicate tool?

I appreciate the two different ways that the tool will distribute duplicates of an object. However, I don't understand why they didn't seperate out the move function and keep it as its own tool. If you forget that you have the tool set to duplicate when you go to move an object, you suddenly have unwanted objects in your drawing.

I'm going back to a 3rd party plug-ins for pt to pt moving unless someone has some insight for me.

Thanks

Unfortunately, you are correct. The Move by Points tool is junk, and even more so since SP3 broke the option-duplicate function. You can half use the tool in one mode, or another, but it is impossible to switch back and fourth with any reliability.

I cannot help but think it is one thing to be saddled with legacy tools, developed and implemented years ago, that Nemetschek feels has a certain responsibility to maintain (they don't) and another thing altogether to devise and develop a new tool, from scratch, that completely misunderstands modern lessons of usability and non-modal interaction, and is wholly unusable.

ThreeDot

I use a move by point tool constantly. The majority of my work is millwork drawings, working at an accuracy of 1/32" or better. To move an object is difficult with the select tool since, depending on the snap settings, it doesn't necessarily snap to the exact corner or other grab point of an item, without taking a lot of care. The Pt to Pt tool makes an accurate move quick and painless.

Exactly my point. I too use the Move by Points tool constantly; it's the go-to tool when I need to move something accurately and, apart from the broken option-duplicate function, it is reliable for that purpose. But try also using the duplicate feature, and switching back and forth between the two. The simplicity and reliability of moving by points is lost. If I'm not concentrating on whether my last move was a simple point-point move, or a duplicate, or a distribute, I'm likely to get the wrong mode. Time and time again I change the options to duplicate, say, 20 items then go on working. A little later, I zoom in an activate my trusty Move by Points tool only to realize that off screen I've just created 20 duplicates. So I undo, change options, zoom in, and move again. The tool is only reliable and simple if you don't ever change any of its settings or active additional features. Brilliant!

And, even more frustrating is that nearly all the tools in the VW palette have a similar modal function. Pick a tool, mirror. You can't mirror an object without (a) remembering if your last mirror was a regular mirror or a duplicate mirror or (b) taking your eyes off your drawing to look up at the tool bar.

ThreeDot

ThreeDot makes a very good point here ...

one of the most underrated legacy powers of VW is the ability to just zoom and work close-in at any level of fineness.

But the developers often simply ignore the ramifications of this definitive process.

Choosing instead to assume that the Tools will be used at the Full Page scale where every object & action is visible.

By comparison it's like a Pilot flying only by instruments ( IFR ) , and one using Visual Flight Rules ( VFR ) on a clear day with a horizon. During IFR the pilot must rely totally on the instruments with the understanding that even small mistakes can have dire consequences when landing in the fog.

Whereas, the VFR pilot can just glance out the windows and adjust his bearings to match the passing scenery.

What is required are established IFR Tools & Rules , and VFR Tools & Rules and a rating system based on proven User experience.