HELP! classes and color designation

pbg

Could anyone tell me why I cannot get my classes to show any colors once I have designated a pen and fill color? The attributes palette shows what colors they are supposed to be, but the object stays black. If I set up a viewport on a sheet layer, I am able to manipulate the color of the layer in that viewport....but otherwise, no color in my classes! I am utterly new to VW. Many thanks to any who can enlighten me.

Let's backup and start with something simple [since you are utterly new to VW ;-) ]

Create a new file and draw three rectangles.

In the Attributes Palette, set the Pen and Fill color on two of the rectangles. Can you see the colors?

In the Attributes Palette, Set the third rectangle to be Set for Pen and Fill to be By Class.

Go to the Organization Palette, the Classes Tab. Select the None class and click the Edit button. Set the Fill and Pen Colors. Click OK to exit the Edit Class dialog box and OK to exit the Organization Palette. Can you see the colors on the objects?

Pat

Perhaps you have the black and white only setting activated for the document as a default. Go to File->Document Settings->Document Preferences. Then in the Display Tab, make sure the "Black and White Only" is unchecked. There is also this option for Viewports under the advanced settings via the object info palette.

In the wee hours...I figured it out...I think. ...That is, I'm hoping it's not a fickle twist of luck!

I "unselected" "use layer colors" in the document preferences and, lo and behold, my class colors returned!! I then rechecked "use layer colors" so that I could fiddle with my class colors in viewports. The result, 2 identical viewports with 2 different color schemes to illustrate 2 phases of work. To add more classes that have color attributes, I suppose I will have to uncheck "use layer colors" again.

Many thanks for coming to the rescue!!

Yes, I think you did figure it out.

When you have Use Layer Colors turned on, every object shows only the colors that display are the ones you set for the layers in the Organization dialog box. By default they are set to Black lines with While fill.

In the Viewport you can overide the layer colors.

I think the bigger picture that you are missing is that Classes are really what you want to be using. Classes in VW are similar to Layers in AutoCAD. Layers in VW have no equivalent in AutoCAD.

Set up you classes to use colors and check the Use at Creation dialog box (in the Organization palette/Edit Class dialog). Every object you draw will then have it's attributes set to By Class when you draw them. If you need to change everything in a class, edit the class color. If you need to change only a single object, just use the attributes palette and change from By Class to the setting needed for that specific object.

Ask if you have more questions.

Pat