'Educational Version' watermark

I am interning at a firm and took a file home to work on it. I have the VW Educational version on my computer, and now the watermark appears on the document when I open it at the office using Professional version. Is there a way to get rid of the watermark?

Thanks,

You will have to send it in to Nemetschek tech support to be able to remove the watermark.

Be very careful to isolate the file with the watermark on it. Anything you do with that file can contaminate other files as well.

Do NOT try to copy and paste objects from the watermarked drawing. Do NOT try to move resources from the watermarked file through the resource browser. Do NOT try to workgroup reference the file. All of the above will result in the destination file also being watermarked.

Either send the file to NNA and explain what happened, or go back to a backup of the file and redo the work you did in the Ed edition.

Sorry,

Pat

Ahh , thanx Pat..based on your comments... it appears that VW uses an embedded watermark flag on its files.

Once flagged the file is forever marked... how kool is that ... and the objects from those Flagged files can contaminate working files too ...

so what this really means is that somebody could post infected watermarked symbols ( or other resources ) to various servers and when those symbols are imported into a legitimate working file...the file becomes infected with the VW Watermark virus... making it useless.

How can this be ?

I only know this because I had a client who had exactly this situation happen. One of their employees works on a bunch of their files in a student version. Eventually they had to send the files to NNA to get the watermark removed.

The license on the educational version is very explicit that it is not for commercial use.

There was a lot of discussion of this over on the Theater list late in VW12 and this was the outcome. The other option (which was implemented for a short time) was a totally separate file format for the educational version so that data could not be exchanged from the educational to the commercial versions.

It is a pain, but NNA seems to think it is necessary.

Pat

The next logical question ... is there anyway prior to usage to discover a Watermarked Educational Version File or EVObject from a standard commercial VW File or Object ?

It boggles my little mind to think that NNA would produce & promote a product with all the characteristics of a destructive computer virus.

Imagine an unscrupulous competitor or disgruntled User downloading the Education Version then producing hundreds of infected files & resources and uploading them on CAD User Forums and resource servers.

Once word got out that VW generated objects are suspected of containing the dreaded EV Virus ... within the blink of an eye NNA would be called to account.

Even having this discussion sends cold chills down my spine !

Who would risk investing in a CAD application that sows the seeds of its own demise ?

It is a pain, but NNA seems to think it is necessary.

Working at a university, I handle a large number of student files, but it has no affect on any of my other files.

Also a warning dialogue box opens when you reference or copy/paste from a watermarked document.

I would disagree that it is a virus/viral like element/behaviour to VW.

• 1 year later...

I have been doing some drafting for a USA/IATSE designer and ran into this issue, as I am a student and only have an EDU. version of VW. But I have found a solution that worked for us.

Export your drawings as a DWG file, then import the DWG to the non-student version of VectorWorks.

• 8 months later...

Hi All,

Just downloaded VW2011 and was wondering what the effect of the watermarks will be. VW2009 had a banner across the border when printing. There was no watermark, is that across the body of the drawing?

Also I see that somone said about symbols and resourses created in 2009 (say) and used across new versions of VW would carry the virus.

So am I right in saying that all the resources and library symbols I create whilst being a student will no longer be valid once I've moved to non student version?

Someone tell me this can't be true.....

Susan BSc Garden Design student(UK)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Susan,

You should talk to your distributor directly about your watermarked files when you upgrading to a professional license.

The placement of the watermark/banner should not have changed for 2011.

FYI:

There was a lot of work done in 2011 for watermarks.

VW2011 has to option to display the watermark (or banner) in the drawing so you can check the placement before you print.

The warning dialogs when you import or open an educational resource/document are more prominent.

The Title Bar at the top of the VW window will also indicate if you are using an educational version and/or if you are using a watermarked file even in a professional version.