sweet worksheets... again :)

1. Is it possible to set Database Header row cell to show sub-row value if all entries are exactly the same or if there's only entry?

For example, I have set criteria to database row to search only space with Space Number "01", 1 subrow drop out, in DB Header Row cell I type "=space.name", in 1 subrow cell appears "Main Entry" and in DB header row cell appears "1". I want to see "Main Entry" in DB Header Row cell as well. This is for referencing this cell later in a "dumb" spreadshet-like worksheet.

2. Is it possible with worksheet functions get Space Name and Space Height? For getting area I wrote "=AREA((L='1.fl.pl.') & (PON='Space') & (space.number='01'))/10^6". This shows me the area of space on specific Layer with number '01'. Sweet. The same thing I can do with preimeter (function PERIM). Also sweet. But I'm out of luck trying to get Space Name and Space Height in similar manner. Is there some kind of workaround?

And this all is about making Room Finish schedules. To get pure room list and areas the Database Row works just fine.

Thanks in advance!

1. I don't know of a way to do what you want. The header row always shows the count or the sum of the subrows.

2. How about what you used above? =space.name

For the height, you have three fields

'Space.Extrusion Height'

'Space.Floor2Floor Height'

'Space.Finish Floor Elev'

Check out the script in this thread for a routine that will give you all of the possible fields for a PIO listed in a worksheet. http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=106278&an=

Pat

Tried the Pat's script mentioned in link in Pat's post above.

I don't know how, but I did succeed to implement this script in my Workspace tools (so, maybe, at some point VectorWorks IS intuitive peace of software).

Thanks Pat! Truly nice peace of code.

On windows and doors this works excellent. If I try it on space object I get the worksheet with 84 entries in Cell Formula column but Display Name column is empty. Any idea why so?

There are a lot of the functions that will only operate properly in databases (formula put in the database header row). Anything that needs to refer to an object in the drawing (or multiple objects) to get the proper data. This includes record.field, area, perimeter, etc. Unless it is part of a database, VW has no way of knowing what object to return the result for.

Normal worksheet functions do work in database rows. You can do something like:

=area* SQRT(Count) {not that that would make any sense}

Or you could break that up into three cells

=area

=count

=A2*sqrt(B2)

The script doesn't display the names for Spaces because they have not been "localized". Every parameter in VW has a true name and a localized name. The localized name is what is shown in the Object Info Palette. The True Name is what needs to be used in the formulas. If there is not a localized name, then the True name is displayed in the OIP.

The first column shows the localized names. Since there are none, it is blank. The part after the . in the formula in Column B should match with what is shown in the OIP. I have not noticed any other objects that don't have the localized names.

Someday I may get around to fixing this. Maybe. Real soon now. Right. ;-)

Pat

Pat, one more note about your script. If you get around to fixing this script you could fix this also.

The trick is with quotes. In a worksheet produced with the script the formula looks like 'Record Name.Field Name'. If I copy/paste it formula doesn't work. I have to remove quotes or enclose Record Name or/and Field Name if there are spaces.

Janis