MAC TW1 and 700's symbols

rpnh

Jim

There are a couple of ways. But I wouldn't add it to the standard Martin Library.

I would open a new blank document, import the symbols you want, and save it as JimsCoolResources in this location: Applications>Vectorworks2008>Libraries

Then add JimsCoolResources as a favorite in your Resource Browser.

As you get more symbols, record formats, and textures you want to keep you can add them. It's really easy:

Right Click on the symbol in the Resource Browser. Select Export. Select Jim'sCoolResources.

(same thing if you really want to put it in the standard library - just export it to Martin Imp. It may show up inside of Objects-Spotlight-Imperial, or something like that. I don't have VW open at the moment.)

Keeping your own library document will make it MUCH easier to migrate to the next upgrade. You won't have to go searching through the standard libraries to find your custom resources.

HTH

Michael

This should probably be another thread, but is there a standard for moving light fixtures symbols?

I create my own as I need them. But I only ever need a couple of different moving light symbols per design. They need to be different enough so that electricians can tell the difference between a MAC700 and a VL3000 (or whatever the case may be).

This works fine for me, but if I was running a rental shop with a dozen different moving lights, I might really need graphic standards.

Any thoughts?????

Michael

hi michael;

i created my own graphic standards, based off spotlight conventions, in my collection of object libraries called SoftSymbols. version 3 is completely updated (as of fall/winter 07), and includes vari-lite, martin, coemar, robe, and clay paky, to name a few. you can download a complete list of the current symbols at

http://www.fieldtemplate.com/soft/SoftSymbols_TotalData.pdf

hth,

shelley

Shelley

I'll have to check them out.

You're the perfect person to ask:

How accurate do you try to make the 3D portion? How closely do you relate the 2D symbol to the 3D? Do you draw moving fixtures with the base up or down? What do you like to use as the tilt of the 3D part of the fixture? How much text is acceptable/useful? What size text? What do you do with really small fixtures? (inkies, birdies?) Do you always use the same default instrument texture?

Michael

hi michael;

i attempt to make the 3d as accurate as possible, based on the 2d which i try to dupe in overall size to the available art on that particular fixture/device. (sweep or extrude). on some of the moving lights which feature bodies comprised of multiple curves and planes, i reduce them to simple shapes in an attempt to keep file size down.

i decided that moving lights would more often be hanging down than sitting on floor, so i make my defaults hang. (when i need a floor unit, flipping the unit can be simple or complex, depending on how **exact** you need the 3d to appear.) i usually tilt all fixtures 30 degrees.

when i use text (esp. for lamp designations) i'll make a duplicate set of fixtures that use slashes and other lines to designate beam spread as well. i try to keep text (or anything else) to a minimum to reduce unecessary visual clutter or ink usage. i think the only 3d text i use is the EDLT series in the ETC object library. (i also remember making an umbrella in a 3d fixture when i had too much coffee but i don't remember which fixture it was....)

usually i try to keep the text in the "nose" of the fixture, but under 7 point i often place it somewhere else adjacent to the fixture. i always use the nemetschek-provided default intstrument texture, especially since version 12.

hth,

shelley