C4D & Artlantis Export.

ola_ola

I just recently upgraded to Vw10.5.1b and iam having trouble with the exported geometry in both C4D and Artlantis it seems like there are problems with all solid subtraction, sweep and boolean objects. I keep gettin addition all off axis objects that are not editable. Is this a current issue or am I missing something in my expoert or modelling procedure.

[ 11-29-2003, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: ola ]

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

As these plugins are not developed by NNA I cannot comment much on the results. But as far as I know, the SDK calls that they make haven't changed much for the objects that you have in the examples. It seems to me that the bottom cap is getting a wrong orientation somehow.

There's no such thing as scale in ANY 3d animation solution (Maya - XSI - LW - Max - C4D - Houdini - ...). The future version of the VW-C4D plugin should give you, amongst other things, the option to rescale the model automatically on import.

Currently the best solution is, in VectorWorks, to switch to centimeters before exporting. That way objects made in C4D will at least have the same "scale" as the objects in VW.

cheers,

BaRa

P.S.: you might want to check out Sketch and Toon, the new NPR module. It gives great results for architectural visuals.

[ 11-30-2003, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: BaRa ]

Scale in C4D doesn't to seem to be based on reality at all. I don't pay any attention to the numbers it gives me. If I need to add something to a scene it C4D I will make an object the correct size in VW then scale the C4D object to match. A bit clumsy, but it works for me.

The plugin is sold by VectorWorks resellers / distributors, not by Maxon. Maxon only monitors and steers the development of the plugin, but the distribution is handled by the NNA channels. You might want to try your local VW dealer.

Cheers,

BaRa

P.S.: a bit off topic, but here's my first image made with the new C4D S&T module. Model built in VectorWorks (yes, with Nurbs):

-

[ 12-04-2003, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: BaRa ]

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

There's no such thing as scale in ANY 3d animation solution (Maya - XSI - LW - Max - C4D - Houdini - ...). The future version of the VW-C4D plugin should give you, amongst other things, the option to rescale the model automatically on import.

Currently the best solution is, in VectorWorks, to switch to centimeters before exporting. That way objects made in C4D will at least have the same "scale" as the objects in VW.

Hey Bara,.. You do not need to set the units to cm.... just make sure that Cinema uses the same basic units..(general settings) and make sure that your import setting has a scale factor of 1 ...

The scale will always be 1:1....

Hi B-A-R,

There is no C4D import setting in the current version of the plugin. And using the same units will not really help. Try the following:

- In VW, set your units to milimeter

- make a cube of 100x100x100 milimeter

- export to VW4D

- Open C4D, and set your units to milimeter.

- open the VW4D file

What you'll get is not a cube of 100x100x100 milimeter, but a cube of 10x10x10 milimeter. And if you would now change your units to centimeter in C4D, you'd get a cube of 10x10x10 centimeter.

So the current situation seems to be: 1 cm corresponds to 1 C4D unit. Unless you would be using an updated version of the plugin, but as far as I know Maxon didn't release an update.

Cheers,

BaRa

[ 12-17-2003, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: BaRa ]