windows in VW

The way we do windows in our office is to make types of windows. If window parameters (width, height, fractions) are same, we call it say W01. Another type of windows we call W02 and so on. We use these types of windows across layers. Lately we started to use symbols, made from 1 window object.

Very nice feature about making windows as symbols is that in case parameters of 1 window type are changed, I edit symbol in resource browser and all instances of specific window type are updated. The trick comes if I try to insert same symbol in a wall with different thickness. Then window remain it's original thickness.

Is there techniques in VW to remain window as symbol like instance (in case of changes I apply them only to definition) AND act it like PIO in means of inserting it in different thickness walls?

Yeah .. this is one of those chicken & egg issues requiring PIO data input from UseWallThickness > WindowJambThickness at the time of insertion.

Without the actual act of insertion the symbol retains the original input at the instant of creation unless it is reprogrammed via the OIP and even then that does not solve the problem for same WindowSymbol into different wall.

However, keep this in mind... Symbols are discreet ObjectInstances and they are NOT supposed to be situationally variable.

Windows are an excellent example since each window type & size is uniquely defined by the width,height,depth and other assembly factors.

Therefore, attempting to make a single window symbol perform multiple size & installation functions violates the protocol and is prohibited.

You will need to make individual Symbols for each subassembly and then use the ReplaceSymbolProcedure to achieve the desired results.

Then use the WorkSheet to create a Schedule of the Symbols via the AttachRecordToSymbol Fields.

Yeah... something to think about. In my case that would mean to make 3 symbols for window type W01 if this window type is to be inserted in 3 walls with different thickness. And in case window type W01 definition changes I have to make changes in 3 instances. Still this is better than changing 20 instances....

Is there an option to get area of window opening in worksheet? I tried NetGlazed criteria, but it isn't what I need. If window is rectangular I multiply window.overallwidth and window.overallheight. But if window is not rectangular this won't work.