Autocad 2000 Compatability

quote:

Originally posted by Richie Hatch:

Hi

I have recently received files form colleagues using AutoCad 2000 but am unable to import iinto VW 8.5.2. They are all dwgs. Should I tell them to save as V14 versions or is there a way to import V2000 dwgs?

This is exactly what I was wondering. I have someone who needs to work at home and wants to send files created on his Mac to work where they use AutoCad14. I am wondering if this can be done before I recommend he buy this program. Thanks.

I guess he can't even find out if you can't save in demo mode. :-(

But from reading these boards, sounds like the Mac version is much more detailed and refined and many of you would rather fight than switch! We hate to have to bring a PC into the house.

[This message has been edited by maclady (edited 02-18-2001).]

Here's a couple more thoughts on the AutoCAD 2000 issue...

DenebaCAD claims to talk Especially Nicely to ACAD 2K. www.deneba.com

Is there a way to work through Illustrator, either via the CADtools plugin-

www.hotdoor.com

or Illustrator 9's built in support for dxf/dwg?

www.adobe.com

And lastly, would Kandu's CADmover translator be any help?

www.kandusoftware.com

Or would a copy of ACAD LT be able to read the file, and downsave it to R14, etc., whie operating from within Virtual PC on a Mac?

I'd be interested in whatever your ultimate solution turns out to be, since I have some of the same issues at my shop.

-ajs

To open an autocad file I first open a new blank file and then import the file into vectorworks. I always allow the defaults when I first import the file into vectorworks. If you can, setup the autocad file with only the most basic information no write blocks and no bitmap logos on the title block. If there is more than one layer the additional layers will often come in the wrong scale. When importing other cad files it is best to keep the file as simple as possible one layer and only what information you actually need.

quote:

Originally posted by Richie Hatch:

Hi

I have recently received files form colleagues using AutoCad 2000 but am unable to import iinto VW 8.5.2. They are all dwgs. Should I tell them to save as V14 versions or is there a way to import V2000 dwgs?