Clients can't open our PDFS

Peter M

Question

When we generate PDFs from VectorWorks 2008, they come out as expected. However, once e-mailed or loaded to our FTP site, our clients are unable to open/read them. Many of these clients are from very large archtecture firms with high end Macs, servers, etc. so it is not an issue of lesser technology/software on their end. When they get the file, it appears they are corrupted. What are we doing wrong? For the record, we are using Leopard 10.5.4, Adobe 8.1.2 and VW 2008 SP3

3 answers to this question

I've had this problem too. I'm not sure that your client's version of acrobat is the problem. If you open the PDF in Preview and Save As, you clients will probably be able to open it just fine. At least that's been my experience.

If it IS a version problem, why does re-saving from Preview work?

I suspect something isn't quite right with VW.

I had a similar problem, but the pdf was not created in VW but in Photoshop using ScanSoft PDF Create 4. I emailed it to an advertising firm and they could not open it. I checked it here and it was fine, so I resent it, and added a CMYK tif just to be sure. It was exactly the same file simply dragged in from the cc to me of the original email. But this time, it opened fine.