Wall Framing and corresponding schedules....

I'm trying to build a fairly complex and custom framing model and seem to be running into limitations. The wall framer tool only allows for "typical" conditions that don't work for me. It also creates worksheets that aren't linked to the objects they tally, so any edits to the framing model are not reflected in the worksheet. I'm looking for a strategy/workflow for creating complex framing and then documenting the results in worksheets. I have the knowledge to create the 3d model, but the worksheet database functions seem to be unable to report on 3d (z value) data for non-PIO geometry. Does anybody have a workaround for this. Or have any idea what I'm talking about? Sorry if I'm not being totally clear. Thanks.

You are correct, there are no Z values available for objects in the worksheet. I don't count the few PIOs that have a Z field in the above.

The only work around is to attach a custom record and put the Z value there. You can write a VectorScript to store the Z values into the record.

The problem is that it is only partially dynamic. If you change the Z of an object you either have to manually adjust the record or run the script again.

And if you want to use the 2-Way worksheet, you need another script to take the value from the record and store it back to the object.

Pat

Hi Pat,

This seems like a serious limitation to the program. Are you saying that the only way to have worksheets report on 3d geometry is through custom scripting? I thought there were all sorts of folks out there that were using VW to build construction models and report on materials, costs etc.... There must be a better solution. I hope....

Do you see any obvious limitations in using framing members to represent vertical studs? In other words, you would enter parameters for a beam such that the width was 3.5", the height was 96", and the span was 1.5" (for an 8' 2x4, for example). Then it would just be a matter of telling the worksheets which field to query. Does that make sense?