Soild color for Hybrid object in 2d

When I create a simple square object, specify a solid color and then extrude the image, the solid color disappears unless I render the object. Even if I enter the 2d edit window and specify a color, the color shows up but disappears when I exit the edit window. What gives all I want is the shape to have a solid color in 2d.

I don't know if it's the best way, but I solve this by making the objects into hybrid symbol objects.

I draw the 2d shape I want, with color, linetype, etc. all set. Then I make it a symbol, set insert, break options, etc. Then I double click it to activate the dialog box, and choose edit 2d. I copy the geometry from the 2d. Then I exit 2d edit and enter 3d edit, paste the 2d geometry in place (so it's at the same 0,0,0 as the 2d) then model the 3d from there. This is where I then assign a z coord to the geometry, and render properties and other 3d sorts of tasks.

I know it's convoluted, but it has the added benefit of giving me lots of symbols, which helps me organize the drawing. And it makes editing the object easier, because the 3d geometry is isolated and doesn't end up snapping to random things or getting lost in a complex drawing.

Works pretty good so far!

You can actually combine a couple steps:

1. Draw the 2D shape with the desired fill color.

2. Duplicate

3. Extrude the duplicate.

4. Select both the 2D and 3D objects

5. Modify>Create Symbol...

OR for when you create the symbol with just the 2D part and wish you had remembered to create the 3D part:

1. Edit the 2D part

2. Duplicate the 2D object.

3. Extrude (still in the 2D edit space)

4. Exit Symbol.

No need to go to the 3D part of the symbol edit space. It will put the 3D objects where it likes them to be.

Same idea if you start with a 3D only symbol. Edit 3D. Double click the object. Copy the 2D shape. Exit Extrude. Exit Symbol. It will put the 2D object where it likes it to be.

Michael