is there any way to copy with a basepoint ?

I think move by points is the answer here. It's new to 2008 (I think!) and it's stuck down on the bottom of the basic tools palette. Shift+m is the hot key. To use it to copy, open the little settings for the tool and select "retain original." It works almost exactly like AutoCAD's move and copy.

I think move by points is the answer here. It's new to 2008 (I think!) and it's stuck down on the bottom of the basic tools palette. Shift+m is the hot key. To use it to copy, open the little settings for the tool and select "retain original." It works almost exactly like AutoCAD's move and copy.

Thank you so much - I've been using VWorks for about a month after 6 years of AutoCAD and this is the command that I have been missing the most.

Makes life much easier - but I still miss AutoCAD :(

I also moved from the AutoCAD beast to VW about a year ago. Let me tell you, VW may have a few tools missing that ACAD had, but overall, I find that VW actually works like it is supposed to. I can actually work in 3d and successfully create my sheet views and details from the model. ACAD always broke or just looked horrid. And workgroup referencing, while it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of xrefs, I've found to be much more stable and useful. The interface for controlling visible layers and classes per viewport is so much easier than the same highly cumbersome method in ACAD. VW is much more a what-you-see-is-what-you-get app than ACAD.

All I'm saying, stick with it!

Coming back to the copy command, vw isn't as good as the Auto(Manual)CAD one. In ManualCAD, one selects a base point ONCE and then one creates all the copies of the object. In vw, one has to select a base point EVERYTIME one has to make a copy. In this case ManualCAD is better-unfortunately.

Thank you so much - I've been using VWorks for about a month after 6 years of AutoCAD and this is the command that I have been missing the most.

Makes life much easier - but I still miss AutoCAD :(

Bairdg...I'm in that same boat. I just started this job a month ago & they use Vectorworks for custom structural assemblies. I'm in the process of evangelizing the benefits of AutoCAD/Inventor. VW looks like it would be perfectly fine if you're drawing houses or pretty pictures for presentation...on a tight budget. But when it comes to making accurate 3D assemblies from a library of parts quickly, it seems to fall flat on its face.

The killer for me is that 2D objects do not retain their XYZ locations when you're in a 3D view in VW. That's simply unusable in my opinion. This means you can't sketch a layout in 2D, then use that 2D to place your 3D accurately while in an isometric view...something I consider to be a basic function in any 3D package.

Good luck chopping down the mightiest tree in the forest with a herring!