Is there a ray command in VectorWorks as there is in Auto Cad ?

No.

The 2d locus can work similarly, using the preference setting "snap to loci."

But only in an orthogonal direction to the current view...and are affected by the "rotate plan" command.

They cannot be perminently rotated relative to aboslute coordinates.

The "make guides" command is intended to provide a way of creating drafting controls as well...but it's more procedural than intelligent.

In VectorWorks, for very long lines beyond window reach, I start with a short line, and from its defined endpoint in the Object Info Palette, I can make it as insanely long as I want. The "ray" in AutoCad is an odd line - it can never be completely printed in its infinite length. I often used AutoCad rays as guides for elevation drawings. The alignment guides for loci in VectorWorks have a similar "ray" function when they are turned on - I usually keep them turned off, because those dashed lines tend to clutter the screen.

Thanks for pointing out those scripts - I'll have to put that in my 'Guides' menu.

I was going to clarify further that Locus 2D points create alignment guides that stretch to infinity in the x and y direction, as long as the VW preference "Snap to loci" is checked. And I know this personally from a problem I recall in older versions of VectorWorks, in which not only the loci drew these guides, but also every dimension endpoint! Hence, the urgent hunt for the "Snap to loci" check box. This problem was apparently fixed, so that dimensions don't show locus alignment guides anymore, and maybe I'll start leaving that box checked in the VW prefs.

And I know this personally from a problem I recall in older versions of VectorWorks, in which not only the loci drew these guides, but also every dimension endpoint!

Another clarification: it was in MiniCad 7 that the dimensions all had 2d loci on their endpoints. The following version, VectorWorks 8.0, fixed that.