PS Printing Puzzle

Here is a really knotty problem for which someone might have an explanation or answer.

I recently created two PS Level 3 files (using the virtual printer option permitted by version 8.7 of the Adobe PS driver). Each drawing was set to print on an HP DesignJet HP2500CP (the PPD description was downloaded from the HP web site). Both files/drawings were ISO A1 in size, contained a number of 'transparent' bitmaps (rendered with RenderWorks), and set to print in best mode. PS was set to Level 3 only and all fonts (type 1) embedded. The size of the PS files so generated was about 11.5 and 14.5 MB respectively.

I use a Mac running OS9 with VectorWorks 8.5.2. My print bureau uses a network of Macs and PCs connected to the printers via some sort of NT print server. The PS files were sent to the printers using DropPS 1.1.4.

The smaller file downloaded and printed without any trouble. However, the larger file - of which I deliberately created (not copied) a number of versions - just seemed to "lock" itself when only 2.03Mb had been spooled to the HP2500. From then on, the sending of data to the printer became so slow as to be non-existent .

After an hour of watching the 'receiving' indicator on the printer flash on and off, the print run was abandoned.

The problem was identical with both a PS123 file and a PS3 only version. However, there was no problem sending either file (with the correct PPDs) to either an HP1055 or a Xerox Xpress. Independent verions of the 2500 file were tried and all files checked for PS errors (none). Each time the problem repeated itself.

Both files are pretty much the same - layer links, multiple views, etc. etc. - the only difference with the larger is that two of the bitmaps are 300dpi rather than the 150dpi used elsewhere (this was a mistake that I have not yet bothered to correct).

I - and the chaps down at the bureau, who are pretty knowledgable - are completely stuck as to what could be the problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

• 1 month later...