Virtualbox

I tried to install Vectorworks 2008 on a Windows XP sp2 virtual machine in Virtualbox 1.6.2 on a Ubuntu 8.04 host.The installation worked fine, but when I try to start VW the whole virtual machine crasches. The virtual XP workes fine with other programs. Has anyone else here tried this? I would like to be able to run VW while I'm logged in to Ubuntu.

Guest jkelly

Did it dump core? What kind of messages are you seeing in dmesg and the syslog?

Have you notified the virtualbox people? It sounds like this is at least in part a bug on their end.

It dumps everything, the whole machine stops running immediately after the first VW 2008 welcome screen shows up. I still haven't notified the virtualbox people. I thought it would be good to check here first if someone has got VW running with XP in a virtualbox machine. I can try to get the dmesg if you tell me how to do. Do I use dmesg as a command in a terminal window or is there a file somewhere? And where do I find the syslog?

Guest jkelly

you run dmesg in a terminal. Take a look at the output immediately after virtualbox crashes, the stuff towards the end will be the most relevant.

Also, look at /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog, these will be the most relevant files most likely. Take a look in /var/log as well, I don't know if virtualbox keeps its own logs, it is possible it does. You are just looking for relevant entries which will tell you why it crashed.

I have now tried 3-4 times and everytime I try to start the VW in the virtual XP machine it crashes. There is no new lines in the /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog files. However the VBox.log file ends like this:

00:01:05.416 /TM/GC/1nsSteps 34 times

00:01:05.416 /TM/R3/1nsSteps 326 times

00:01:05.417 /TM/VirtualSync/CurrentOffset 3270000 ns

00:01:05.417 ********************* End of statistics **********************

00:01:05.442 Changing the VM state from 'DESTROYING' to 'TERMINATED'.

I get the same results when trying to run VW on a Windows 2000 machine.

• 2 weeks later...

I have got this answer from TerryE at the Virtualbox forum:

"A quick look at Vectorworks states that it is "2D/3D AEC CAD software for Windows and Macintosh." Sorry but 3D software just doesn't work well under VB and isn't supported. There are lots of discussion on the forum as to why."

So I guess I will have to try VMware or some other VM program to make this work...