General Notes: Notes Manager

I've done it before with a external text editor application, not within VW. Like you said - Text>Capitalization doesn't work on database text.

In the Notes Manager if you choose 'Save As' it will save a new .XML database file. Exit VW, and open that new XML file with your text editor of choice (hopefully one that correctly formats XML files). You'll have to select the text and change the case manually - it'll be obvious what needs changed. I wouldn't select and change the case of all the text in the XML file as it might cause problems when you open the database back up in VW. It's relatively easy - just tedious.

Regards,

Tim

Do you have the ability to add linefeeds to the notes manager database? I'm using a PC and after saving the database then reloading, the linefeeds disappear or, if I try and do something clever like put an embedded control character in the box, it gets corrupted.

I've done quite a bit of XML in the past, and it seems that, when saving to the XML database, control codes are not properly handled when writing the file.

I've submitted a bug, but wonder if this is just a PC issue.

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=7&Number=104934

IanH- if you're talking about adding linefeeds to the XML database file with an external text editor, then no- I haven't tried to do this. I'm not sure why you would want to: it seems that adding linefeeds within the tags of the database file would cause conflicts with the 'Max Text Width' setting on the OIP.

My understanding of XML is that it's intended to separate content from format. But that doesn't explain why I had to go into the XML file to change the capitalization: there should be a setting on the VW Notes Manager to change the case of the text.

What you're experiencing may not be a bug, but a limitation of the XML schema as implemented. But I could be wrong.

Regards,

Tim

Several workarounds come to mind, at least for future development.

Extra lines between individual notes.

Internal font/paragraph control,

I haven't tried it but:

Sub-notes could substitute for paragraph breaks?

A blank note as a line break?

Any other ideas?