Changing None class to 0

Yes there is so much on None/0 that you can't turn it off. For starters the contents of most symbols are there.

This is why you don't put regular stuff on it, so it doesn't get confused with the "internals."

Take some DWGs and turn off "0" and see what happens. The bigger and more complex the project the more "0" matters.

0 is at the top, and easy to find, unlike None.

0 is better for export, not just to AutoCAD but I'm pretty sure we used it in my Microstation days too.

0 is definitely used as an active layer (class) in AutoCAD, just as much as None is used in the VW world.

HOWEVER,

Getting rid of None is impossible in VW, you just can't rename it to 0 as it gets constantly regenerated by plug-ins like the door/window tools.

off-topic: the strange class CEILING-MAIN also gets constantly regenerated by the door tool, which drives me up the wall!! You can't rename it, you can't map it...it just keeps coming back...and for non-US users the stupidity of having a door component named after a ceiling (the underside of a door head is a soffit in the UK) is enough to make you bang your head on the desk.

There's an advantage to using layer 0 in AutoCad, which doesn't apply to VW. If you insert a block which was drawn in layer 0, it can assume the characteristics of the layer that you are inserting it into (depending on how the lines are specified).

The same block can appear differently in different drawings or in different layers in the same drawing. A door can appear heavy in one layer while appearing grayed out in another, without making any changes to the original block.

Other than for placing a class at the top of the list, I don't see any advantage of a layer 0 in Vectorworks.

off-topic: the strange class CEILING-MAIN also gets constantly regenerated by the door tool, which drives me up the wall!! You can't rename it, you can't map it...it just keeps coming back...and for non-US users the stupidity of having a door component named after a ceiling (the underside of a door head is a soffit in the UK) is enough to make you bang your head on the desk.

Indeed, some of us have very sore foreheads.

Actually the 0 class is quite important if you switch your class naming system to conform to the AIA standards in VW. This switches None to 0, dimensions to A-Anno-dims. This makes sharing drawings and collaborating with an AutoCAD user using this system more consistent. My experience as a longtime AutoCAD user is that 0 is a catch all class that never gets turned off like none and it is okay to assign things to this class i.e when creating blocks/symbols

Also if you import symbols/blocks from an AutoCAD format the 0 class often acts as the main class and controls its visibility regardless of the sub classes. I basically convert the 0 class to none if working in VW naming standard or none to 0 class if working in AIA. Never both at the same time

Finally if you use the layer/class mapping converting none to 0 and vice versa can be useful when working with someone using AIA standard if you prefer the VW naming system.

Caveats: There are a few bugs I have reported with switching naming standards. It seems like NNA forgot to update the AIA conversion for Door/Window PIO,library objects,Furn/Fix e.t.c in VW2008, hence even after converting to 0 class in th AIA system , the insertion of a door/window brings back the none class and ceiling main (should be A-CLGN) Also all pre classes furniture come in as Furniture main instead of A-Furn.

I am hopeful that this will be fixed as this is important when you have a project that requires you work in this standard.

There's an advantage to using layer 0 in AutoCad, which doesn't apply to VW. If you insert a block which was drawn in layer 0, it can assume the characteristics of the layer that you are inserting it into (depending on how the lines are specified).

The same block can appear differently in different drawings or in different layers in the same drawing. A door can appear heavy in one layer while appearing grayed out in another, without making any changes to the original block.

I REALLY wish that we could do this in VW!