Shim Space

For me this has been an ongoing annoyance. My 5? workaround is to increase the jamb width to 1" and decrease the shim space to 0. This lets me snap to the rough opening, which is what I want, but of course it will mess up the "auto" schedule in respect to the shim space...

Edited by CipesDesign

Heh, I was afraid this was the solution. But then again I have yet to actually use the autoschedule business. I've made a couple runs at it over the years but this proves to be one more reason to avoid it. The BIM dream continues to allude me. I'll take a clear drawing over that any day. Thanks for both your inputs.

• 4 weeks later...

I just had a very interesting email exchange with Julian Carr of OzCad, and he sounded very amenable to the idea of adding Rough Opening functionality to WinDoor. This would include scheduling capability for R.O. width, height, & area, as well as the display of loci in plan view indicating the R.O. in the wall, according to the window/door width & specified shim gap. I'll cross my fingers that the next version of WinDoor will include these capabilities!

Come to think of it, if you think this would be a great idea drop him a line and let him know (contact info at OzCad)...

Edited by markuskolb

Adding the shim gap to the jamb is a poor workaround for us, because then if we want to show the overall unit size we'll have to do extra math in the worksheet (to subtract the shim gap again) instead of just extracting the appropriate parameter from the PIO. Plus, if we want to generate larger-scale window elevations for the window order, the units will be shown too large.

In the U.S., windows are typically identified by the outside frame size, but we like to show the R.O. on the plans for the carpenters out on the site...

• 8 months later...

I realize I am coming in late to this discussion but I have recently encountered the same questions. In 2009 Top/Plan View the shim gap shows up as an extension to center of the outside of the frame so you can dimension to it in plan. What I would like is the actual cut hole in a wall to be set to the opening plus the shim gap. I would like to see the frame and the gap in plan, section and elevation views.

Usually the rough opening size is scheduled along with the frame dimensions but often in residential the called out window size is the actual rough opening size and the windows are sized to fit the opening and they are not always scheduled. With BIM in mind the objective should be to model everything accurately and have the actual opening and window components sized precisely and parametrically.