What is the most effective way to produce photomontages?

• 1 month later...

Photograph the existing site and then measure the distance and your elevation from your camera tripod to say, the main story floor, and then apply the same amounts +/- when placing the Camera tool into your Top View drawing. Render and export the image into Photoshop, add it to the site photograph on its own layer and see what you did wrong in setting up the model, then try again, etc. until you get it reasonably close. You can do a little warping of the adjoining buildings in PS to get them to align better with your model.

One has to be impressed, when reading the input parameters of Matt Panzer's Camera Match, as to the several settings which remove guesswork in comparison to VW's own Camera tool, which has lots of power but leaves you with little to go on when compositing with a site photograph. Thus, given the low cost of the plugin, and the high cost of your time, it may be an idea to pick up Camera Match and save yourself the hassle of winding up with an image which you don't feel really good about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Photograph the existing site and then measure the distance and your elevation from your camera tripod to say, the main story floor, and then apply the same amounts +/- when placing the Camera tool into your Top View drawing. Render and export the image into Photoshop, add it to the site photograph on its own layer and see what you did wrong in setting up the model, then try again, etc. until you get it reasonably close. You can do a little warping of the adjoining buildings in PS to get them to align better with your model.

One has to be impressed, when reading the input parameters of Matt Panzer's Camera Match, as to the several settings which remove guesswork in comparison to VW's own Camera tool, which has lots of power but leaves you with little to go on when compositing with a site photograph. Thus, given the low cost of the plugin, and the high cost of your time, it may be an idea to pick up Camera Match and save yourself the hassle of winding up with an image which you don't feel really good about.

The fudging with the perspective and point of view that happens between the 1st and 2nd sentence above is what Camera Match gets done rather quickly, although still with some fudging required.

If you really can't get Camera Match, at least view the movie tutorial on his website. It's a great explanation of the use of Renderworks backgrounds and image-filled polygons to composite a rendering into a photo without resorting to Photoshop or the like.

The work method shown allows a viewport to be set up so that a re-rendered composite can be "automatic", without going through the export image fiddling process repeatedly. That nugget alone is nearly worth the cost of the plug-in, and in this case it's free!

I can't buy the plug-in on my job. My boss won't lett me. So I need some info on how this can be done withouth the plugin.

What I would do is time how long you are taking to achieve this task, including forum time.

When you have completed the task tell your boss, that you can achieve the same result in 5 minutes with Matt's plug in.

Job done.