.3DS export appears black in Photoshop

I am trying to import a VW-made .3ds file into Photoshop and it is completely black. I have tried a lot of lighting combinations but can't crack whether I am exporting out of VW wrongly or whether I need to import it differently into PS. (CS3 version 10)

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.Also, any tricks and tips on how best to export .3ds files would be great too.

simon

I thought I could control the angles, and depth of field better with a building, pergola etc as a 3d object. Also I can take 2 or 3 photos from different angles and use just 1 3ds. I just did a shopfront and was able to show the view of the awning etc., from each side and also front on.

Have you ever seen Piranesi? www.piranesi.co.uk Its basically a Photoshop style program but it understands 3D and materials.

You basically export a 3D model (needs renderworks to do this direct from Vectorworks although you can import a 3ds, dxf etc model into Vedute which is supplied with Piranesi and bypass the need for renderworks). Once in Piranesi, you texturise the model by hand, using various locks that keep things confined to various materials. The textures can be easily controlled and there are quite a few good cutouts to help dress the scene and if its not quite right, because you control the look, you can change it easily. Its much quicker than doing the same in VW as its fully interactive so you see the results as you work rather than have to kick of a render, change it, try again. This allows much finer control over the overall result - look at the Piranesi gallery for examples. I think there is a 30 day trial available on the website too.

If you are in the UK, I can help supply.