Import PDF

We cannot import pdf's into drawings. We get an error regarding a plug in missing (I know of none available) on the macs. Something about authorisation on the pc's.

We can import as an image file - but then its converted in the process to a png or jpeg. Anyone know where the plug in is?

Running latest VW Architect2008.

• 4 weeks later...

I am having this problem as well and have been unable to find any missing plug-in. It has also meant that drawings converted from 12.5 to 2008 lost the pdfs that were in the files.

Does anyone know how to fix this or where to get the missing plug-in?

• 2 weeks later...
I am having this problem as well and have been unable to find any missing plug-in. It has also meant that drawings converted from 12.5 to 2008 lost the pdfs that were in the files.

I'm in the same boat. When I select "Import Pdf" from the Import menu, it tells me I am missing the plugin....

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Cheers,

Nils

Be sure that you have it in your workspace (Happend with me too after I installed the program for te first time. For some reason it wasn't in my standard workspace)

I'm in the Architect workspace. It shows up in the menu, but when selected it gives me the error message: "Import PDF. The plug-in object file is missing. Check to make sure it is in your plug-ins folder."

I looked back over my v12.5 plug-ins folder to see if there are any obvious differences between 12.5 and 2008. None that I can see.

Any existing drawings that I have that had PDF's in them are unusable.

I'm stumped.

Nils

okay, how do you save a file to get the .png?

I use Photoshop to translate image file types back and forth, but there are others that do it as well. Graphic Converter, for instance.

I had good luck in 12.5 w/ PDFs. I've been fooling with it since my first post here this morning and I CAN import PDFs using the "Import Image File" command. That doesn't help my existing drawings which have a bunch of PDFs in them....

Nils

There are at least two ways in VW. One is to use File/Export/Export Image File/PNG image.

Another way is to make a screen shot with the key command: shift command 4

The cursor changes to cross hairs. Click Drag a mqrquee around the area you want an image of. When you release the drag, an image file is created and placed on your desktop. Press Escape before releasing the drag, and the action is canceled.

Some software has no export png or save as png, so option 2 may be your only choice.

Or you can save as pdf, open in Preview and save as png.

But usually the pdf is a better graphic.

-B

I've been messing with this all day; very frustrating. My SysAdmin advised me to remove Adobe Acrobat 7.0 completely.

I did so and the problem was solved.

He said that Acrobat causes him all sorts of problems.....

HI, Sketcher - In my workspace, the png export option is in the file type pulldown of the export pane. Default filetype is jpg so you have to select the png option:

File/Export/Export Image File then click the File Type pulldown menu near lower right of the window.

I think it's built in to all US VW packages, but I could be wrong.

If you can't find it there, post back so others can help.

Try the screen shot, too: shift command 4 draw a marquee. That makes a png.

-B

• 2 weeks later...

I've checked all the workspaces and have 'import PDF' under File>Import>Import PDF, but no matter which workspace I try I still get the error message saying that the plug-in is missing. We don't have the plug-in file in the plug-ins folder of the application on any of our copies and I can't even find it from older versions. Like other users, we have images missing from files as a result and don't want to have to go back and change them all to jpegs. Any ideas where we can find this mystery plug-in file?

On my system...

/Applications/Vectorworks 2008/Plug-Ins

As far as I can see there are two relevant files, namely

PDFPage.vwobject 152 KB

PDFUtilityLib.vwlibrary 68.1 MB

There are also plugin folders in :

/Library/application Support/Vectorworks/2008/Plug-Ins

/Users/Username/Library/Application Support/Vectorworks/2008/Plug-Ins

but nothing relevant within.

If you go to Tools>Workspaces>Workspace Editor>Edit a Copy>

Then in Workspace Editor under the Menus>File>Import there should be import pdf

If it is not there then go to Commands>Import/Export> and drag the pdf export commands across to the Menus

Do the same for imports, save and close workspace editor and you should then be able to import and export pdf files

HTH

• 1 month later...

It is 11:07 pm here, post prime time, and struggling to use Import PDF in order to send construction sketches to a client *tonight*. I am, however, only getting the missing plug in message. Is there any resolution to this problem with VW2008?

I will try Import Image instead.

MacBook Pro, 2.16GHz, 2GB, Mac OS 10.4.11

VectorWorks2008 SP3 (Build 88670) Fundamentals/Architect/Renderworks