Duplicates

A simple question, to which I hope there is a simple answer!

Is there a way of disabling the 'duplicate object' shortcut, ie. hitting the ctrl button (on a pc)?

We have a system which counts objects on the drawing & if the ctrl key is accidentally pressed at the wrong time (easy to do), you end up with more objects than you think, and a false count.

Thanks

Mark

It is a problem because sometimes the ctrl key gets accidentally pressed (at the wrong time) maybe instead of the shift key, say if you wanted to move & constrain. The object then gets duplicated without being noticed.

We dont use offset duplication, as dupe & move (ctrl D & Ctrl M) suits the way we work.

We use custom tools to draw many of the common objects on a drawing, these also write records to a worksheet, which get counted & costed. Therefore you see one object, but get the cost for two!

Not the end of the world of course, but it would be nice to be able to disable it.......

I've had this problem before as well, doing chair counts. Since you cannot get rid of the ctrl duplicate option, I'm wondering if one could come up with a small script that would check against duplicates and alert you. Not that I'm a programmer or anything, but it should be simple matter to identify if there are two symbols with exactly the same x,y,z coordinates.

You are making a case for using offset duplicate, so when you use the duplicate command you know that you have made a duplicate.

Also Command D is very useful for doing repeat duplications.

In the workspace editor you could assign the control key to do something else.

Edited by MCH