Solid shows only as wire frame

I have tried that. Even in the render modes only the virtical faces are colored the rest appears to be hollow.

OPTION A: The underlying 2D object is not closed. Double click on the object to get to the underlying 2D shape. See if there is a check mark against Closed on the OIP (Object Info Palette).

OPTION B: The underlying 2D object is made up of lines, arcs etc. rather than a shape. If so Compose it into a shape and give it the required solid fill before you exit the group.

I created the basic object from line work, then i used the extrude tool to create the solid. I have since been able to make it appear to be solid by combining the surface before extrusion, but there must be an easier way. Combining the surface, especially if there are any curves has always been very time consuming.

Thank you so much for the help,

The method you are using only defines the edges. To get a top and bottom you have to make it a surface.

Draw the surface using the 2D polygon tool. Then use the 2D reshape tool to change the required vertices to curves which can be re-edited.

Complex shapes can also be made up using Add Surface and Clip Surface.