Window Trim in Plan

• 3 years later...

This is an update on an earlier post. In exploring the window tool further in VW 2012, we have discovered that the tool can now utilize the trim for the interior and/or the exterior and still maintain the proper view in top plan (ie the wall cut is correct and the poche is shown behind the trim now). Yeah! Our work around was making every window a symbol with trim in the 3D portion, which we will probably still stick with because even thought the trim on windows works properly the head and sides have to be the same size (a wish list item).

However, (I hope that I am wrong and someone can correct me), when adding a sill through the plugin objects settings it puts it on the inside not the outside of the window. We think this because of the sashes shown on a double hung (interior sash is at bottom when closed) and because if you only add interior trim it appears on the same side as the sill. We tried negative numbers, to force the sill to the exterior, but is really doesn't behave properly. Does anyone else have experience with creating windows, and for large jobs how do you work around these issues?

Thanks!

T

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The Sill, in the terminology of the window tool, is always on the exterior. The part that is on the interior is referred to as the Stool. Try playing with the Sill Lip, Keep, Depth and Height values and you make be able to achieve the look you are going for.

Thanks Judah for responding. We just did a little experiment and you are correct, but we are too. When the window settings dialog box is open the plan view is backwards.

In the attached png you can see the same window in the wall on the design layer as is shown simulatenously through the settings dialog box. When viewed in plan through the settings dialog box it is backwards from the design layer. For reference, there is only exterior window trim on this window and an 8" Sill, no Stoop. The file is attached too. Let me know what you see.

Thanks again for experimenting with me!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You are correct...in the dialog the view is different.

Things like sills, trim and shutters are dependent on the wall to determine their interior and exterior. When there is no wall, the concept of interior losses most of its meaning, so determining how to draw it becomes confusing. The dialog preview has been this way for a while.