Putting yourself into building

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone knows the answer to this for me. I've create a 3 storey building with lots of furniture and fittings. Everytime I place something into one of the floors, I am often needing to view the drawing in elevation to locate heights of items I want off the ground. But when I look in elevation view, I am always 'outside' the building and having to negotiate lots of lines to see the object I want to deal with.

Is there any way I can put myself inside a room to view closer up? The only way I know is to create a section viewport but it just creates this on a sheet layer - not what I want really.

Thanks

Another way:

It won't be a 2D elevation, but you can readily view AND manipulate the inside of a 3D model with View>Set 3D View (or better, Renderworks Camera if you have RW). You can place/move objects with 3D tools or use OIP when possible

What you want is a cross section view that you can still work in.

Too bad that this is not possible in VWks. You only get Sheet Layer Section Viewports or the old 2D & 3D Sections that are not 'live.'

I think being able to work in section should be a priority.

Cut 2D & Cut 3D Sections tools are perfect for what you want to do which is make a quick cut on which you can directly measure, then make the adjustment on your layer, and cut and measure again if need be. (This tool is so much easier than the alternative for designing complex roofs, for instance.) Delete the automatically created layer once you have your information.

You do have to dredge these tools out of the dumpster (Legacy folder) using the Workspace Editor which, if you haven't used it yet, gives you the perfect opportunity to rework your toolset to better reflect your preferences. While you're at it, fetch and install the Slab Object from vectordepot.com (allows better control of edge textures than the Floor Tool).

Alternatively, you could also create a new layer to which you might temporarily send elements (use the Object Info palette), adjust them there, then send them back to their original homes. This removes all clutter without the need to create a (hide) class for everything.

Edited by tguy