Add Plants to data base?

What version. Have you got the manuals? If so and you are using 2008, look around page 212-221 especially 217 and 220.

There are varios ways of doing this, ranging from using the plant database as explained in the manual, to using bulk import tools.

Certainly as far as 2008 is concerned, if you add a plant to the plant database, you need to add it to a suitable plant list otherwise you cannot select it from the plant tool. Its all very tempting to make a generic, all plants list, but its very slow to open, so try and make your lists pertinent to your working style and commonly used plants.

In the UK, I found the supplied plant database so unhelpful for the UK market (what no Stipa or Verbena bonariensis?), that I simply deleted it and replaced it wholly with the supplied Coblands database. For UK designers, its a much better starting point but not quite as comprehensive in detail IMHO.

If you are working with long lists, say you have an existing plant list in Excel or, as I have, in an SQL database, experimenting with the import options and field mappings is probably long term, going to give you the quickest way of bulk loading.