Roof faces

Can anyone give advice on how to connect say a gable roof face into say my main roof face- Is there some type of connect roof faces that would figure out where my roof faces meet and then adjust accordingly. I believe there is a feature like this in archicad- Does this exist in VW? Hope this makes sense

Two basic ways: 1) use the ROOF object. Everything will connect. Even different pitches and plates heights (to some extent depending on complexity). 2) Use ROOF FACES and either do the math to find the lines of intersection, or use a rendered top view to get as close as you can to find them, then clip/add surface to the face(s) to get them to intersect properly. I also hope that makes sense...

Unfortunately- When dealing very complex roof system does not work- It seems that often you have to toggel between the side elevation and try to make adjustment then but it always seems to throw off other parts of the roof.

Another example- Let's say we have a circular roof dying into a portion of a corner of a a hip roof- It just seems very difficult and nor very accurate when making any necessary adjust.

Would it be better to work in solid forms rather than roof face? But it seems then it woul be very combersome

The roof tools are generalized and not likely to give you or anyone complete satisfaction when dealing with very complex roofs, as you say. If working with a solid form gives you the desired shape when rendering, then that seems like a good solution, with some additional line work needed during sectioning.

The roof tools you have can do pretty much anything you wish, just keep on experimenting and you'll eventually get a good methodology which will work for you again and again.

Vw has all of the tools you should need to construct very complex roof structures with a combination of the roof object and the roof face tool. See Below.

Not trying to show off but the tools are there...you just have to spend some intense and committed time working through the curve.

FrontRightPerA2800.jpg

Render2.jpg

RoofObject.jpg

Give yourself some time to become accomplished using the VW tools...they really do work.

Pete A.

I rarely if ever use the Roof Object; for anything but a very simple hip or gable I would pretty quickly reduce it to its component Roof Faces anyway, which are both easy to use and very capable. Once one Roof Face is create, it's easy to mirror and/or duplicate it as necessary, reshape it, and change its pitch and elevation as required to create a complex roof.

Regarding the 'math' of creating valleys and hips in plan: the angle of a valley or hip can easily be established by the two roof pitches. For example, the angle (in plan) of the valley or hip of a 7/12 roof and a 9/12 roof is 7/9. The angle of a valley or hip of a 2.75/12 roof and a 7.12/12 roof is 2.75/7.12. (The base run needs to be the same, whether it's 12 or 10 or whatever...).

To determine the intersection, in plan, of a conical and hip roof, the involved components can be duplicated and added together as solids. The intersection can then be traced from a hidden line drawing or, for more accuracy, the solid can be converted to a hidden line polygon and the desired intersection lines copied out of it.

HTH!