Geodesic dome question

I have to design an automatic sprinkler system for geodesic dome. I have gotten an A'cad dwg wire frame of this animal. Is there a straightforward way to measure, true dimension, between the intersection of the struts, which is the only place that I can place hangers for the sprinkler piping? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Richard

I've been doing something like this with an imported 3D mesh of mechanical design. The polygon face must viewed staight on for the tape measure tool to give the correct dimension. I use the working plane tool to set a new working plane then use the view button to orient it to a "plan" view. Then measure from point to point on the mesh.

It's tedious because the working plane must be changed as you go around the object. If there's a better way, I'd love to know.

[This message has been edited by George Hannigan (edited 01-19-2001).]

• 2 months later...

It is not at all tedious if you consider the modularity of geodesic design.Tetra 3, cube4, Icos5,Octa8. You only require one of the triangles to compute all the relationships. Each tri is divided by frequency, ie 4Freq Icos as four subdivisons of each edge of tri and there are 5 of these triangular sections.

So find one of the main triangular sections and discover the modularity of the internal triangles from the corner vertexes. Everything is reflected ! At first it appears complex but the elegance is in the simplicity of it all.

Create an iso tri and begin dividing it up from edge to edge or from vertex to edge.

The formula for chord length is 2r*sinA/2

If you need any assistance smile.gif

• 3 years later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by Steven Pike:

Is there a way to control the number of facets VW uses to display a 3D circular object?

If you just need a 3-D approximation of an arc, use the regular polygon tool and convert to a 3-D polygon. For more sophisticated geodesic dome construction, you'll probably need to look into writing a VectorScript program to create the faces to match your dome subdivision.

In regards to the original question:

I don't work in 3D much, but as far as measuring between two points in 3D space, couldn't you just draw a 3D object between the two points, such as a "Sphere by Diameter", then read the radius or diameter of the sphere on the info palette and then delete it?

It would seem faster than changing the working plane and view each time.

Just an Idea.

• 5 years later...