VectorWorks Upgrade

Good day All

Could someone please inform me or direct me to an exiting thread as to the pros and cons of upgrading from version 12.5 to 2008.

Do I have to buy a whole new package as that is what I have already done recently to upgrade from version10.

The main reason would be that I have long(extremly) render time, where it takes more than 60min to render basic Stage and trussing layout in fastRender.

Thank You

I recently had cause to go back to 12.5 to do some instructing and I was surprised at how painful it was to use compared to the more effective habits I'd developed using V. 2008. Some of those improvements are the data display bar linked to the cursor, the icons for screen control and rendering now on the top of the page instead of the bottom, selected items now glow with a color and groups glow with an infill color--trust me, this is much better when trying to identify and select items. Plus lots more tools have been improved or simplified.

I'm not prepared to give you a full accounting of V. 2008 improvements nor address your speed issues which I have not encountered. My own renderings take only a minute or so so I would say there is something fixable in your 12.5 file/files that should allow for much, much shorter rendering times and that an upgrade will not likely fix your speed issue but should add speed to your work processes. I design on a Mac, both Motorola and Intel CPU based. Perhaps someone else can suggest some fixes to the slow rendering times?

• 1 month later...

In Final Quality RenderWorks it takes about 3 Hours to render....

Yes I do use symbols, of lights(fixtures) etc, but that does not effect it that much, When using trusses and lights, there is just no point for me do do that type of render becuase of the time.

MCH: So you say my 1.97GB of RAM is accually not enough?

Thank you all

You will find that XP alone will use some of the RAM, as soon as you start using virtual RAM processes will slow down.

It is my understanding that XP can only address 3g of ram even if you install 4g

Rendering is one of the most intensive processes for CPU and RAM, how big is the file?

Can it be posted?

When I render large stages 40mx30m I always make sure the trusses are square profile, you dont notice that in the renders.

Thanks for hiunt on the trusses as ourd are all round and I know this is why it battles to render.

The latest set of drawings ranged at 50-60MB files, but even a file less than 20MB will take that long, depending what is in the drawing.

Best solution seems to upgrade my RAM to 4GB. Will I have to change any of the other parts of the PC?

To clarify windows RAM limits. For 32bit, the limit is 4GB RAM. However, from this total, memory mapped devices take their share. So, from 4GB, you can soon be down to 3.5GB or less considering that a graphics card, not withstanding other devices, will take 256/512MB etc.

This is certainly the case with Vista, don't know about XP but I suspect its going to be the same. Vista prior to SP1, Vista use to report the amount of RAM less the shared amount - ie usable amount but now it reports the full physical 4GB, and overlooks the fact that from this total, a significant proportion of GB will not be available.

My desktop has 4GB physical RAM. It use to report 3.5GB or so but now reports 4GB even though I have exactly the same amount of usable RAM.

I guess people were upset at buying 4GB RAM, only to be told by Vista that 3.5GB was fitted. I must admit that I was a but perterbed by this until I realised what was going on.

The reason why I went for 4GB over 3GB was there was next to no price difference and for the small extra I got matched modules.