Creating a Roof over complicated building

Hi everyone,

I can create a roof when its a basic one over 4 walls, but my building has a basement to roof bay wall with windows on one side, and the front has a chimney breast protusion in the middle on the other. When I selected all the top walls (which worked out as many), the prgoramme tells me its too complicated to create a roof.

Is there a way we are supposed to be able to do this?

Allison.

Create a simple roof over the main part of your house, ignoring the bits that the program has trouble with. Then ungroup the roof which will give you a series of Roof Faces which you can manipulate. You can for instance extend a roof face down to a lower level by double clicking it and adding surface to the eaves edge. You can copy and paste a roof face, then rotate it, move it to where you want and add or clip surfaces to make an extension to the base roof.

Once you get the hang of how roofs can be designed, there is very little you can't do - Jonathan Pickup's manuals are highly recommended.

It would also be useful if you could make a signature so that forum users can dovetail their remarks to your system and VW version.

Hi David,

I can create a basic gable ended roof, but no idea how to add the other bits, so I wondered if I could attach my plan of the top floor, to show the roof style I am trying to create, it might be helpful, but I don't know how to upload a PDF attachment to my post - if anyone knows, please let me know - I don't think if I entered an image it would load.

I will try adding a file of my drawing and see if that works. If not, will try just adding a viewport pdf of the top floor

Ok I attached my whole drawing of the three storeys.

If you can view it ok, I need a gabled end roof (ie in plan view like a rectangle with a line across the centre). Then I need to know how to make the roof cover the walls at the front and back of the building where they just out chimney breast style.

Then to cover over the bay windows/walls at the back, but more of a flatter roof here than the traditional Victorian 3-sided conical shapes.

The roof is not to have any overhang, and is in fact supposed to rest inside the walls which rise above it by approx. 5-600mm.

As an extra, these top walls have triangular capped tops at the front and back of the building. Also the end walls on either side of the building need to rise up as wall peaks, but higher than the roof top and also with capped tops along them.

If I can find the original 'survey' drawings on disk, as poopsed to the manual I am worknig on, I will try and upload that too - my scanner isn't working for me to scan what I'm working from in.

All help greatly appreciated.

I have the original drawings saved to my desktop in pdf format, but it won't load to my post as an attachment. Properties tell me the file size is 36.4 MB - could this be why?

Sorry for all the posts, just trying to find a way to complete my drawing :)