Sign in to follow this  
James Milkey

PDF Text Shifting

I've seen several posts on this but I have yet to see a solution. I too am printing to Acrobat and my text is shifting to the left and up which makes the pdf useless. Thanks in advance.

Adobe has a flaw with it's PDF writer- it cannot resolve rotated type, amongst other things. We have found a third party PDF writer that works quite well with VW. Its called PrintToPDF, and its available as a download (I think JWwalker.com). Its easy to install and use. Try it. Hope this helps.

------------------

Jim McAuliffe, RA

I had the same problem using Acrobat. PrinttoPDF fixed it beautifully. For PC owners, go the to PrinttoPDF site and read the author's comments about Windows systems. He states some of the things you can do.

I found that printing to a postscript file first, then making the pdf with Acrobat Distiller solved the text mangling problems of PDF Writer. I don't know how the whole postscript-to-distiller-to-pdf workflow works on a PC. (It's good to know about Print2PDF...thanks for the Mac tip list).

quote:

Originally posted by Robert Nichols:

I found that printing to a postscript file first, then making the pdf with Acrobat Distiller solved the text mangling problems of PDF Writer.B]

I am on a Mac too, and indeed, the PDF Writer does not handle text well in a graphic document, however, Acrobat Distiller handles text flawlessly

But the easiest way to use Distiller is to download AdobePS driver v.8.7 from Adobe's web site. Once installed, you can choose the AdobePS driver in the chooser, and the Distiller appears as a virtual printer in the pull down menu. Select the Distiller, and you can print to PDF as easily as with the PDF Writer directly from VectorWorks.