SP3 download not working

I spoke too soon. Using Internet Explorer as the browser, the download took 45 minutes. The file named < updatetoVW2008.zip > contained 176,221 kb. But when I double clicked the file, WinZIP message said, "cannot open file. It does not appear to be a valid archive".

Has anyone else had a problem downloading SP3 for Windows XP?

Guest jkelly

And you've never had this problem with any other zip files?

It goes without saying that a good portion of our users are downloading the SP3 updater using Internet Explorer without a hitch. I couldn't even guess at what the problem is. Perhaps the download was not complete.

Looking at our updater, the correct zip file size is approximately 281 MB, so you have an incomplete download there. Is everything okay with your internet connection?

Apparently my new Firefox virus checker was interfering with the download, but no error or virus messages ever displayed. After turning off the anti-virus, the download proceeded normally. I had occasionally had problems with Norton AV interfering with email and download, but not in recent years.

You lives, and you learns, and sometimes you learn the same thing all over again.