Workgroup references

Workgroup references throughout our projects are moving around randomly in the viewports of the sheet files they're referenced in to. This is causing serious chaos in our company, and great loss of time and resources. It is also very basic functionality any company relying on drawings would expect from any CAD software. Following other threads on this site, we have studiously avoided viewport rotation, and have stripped reference files out of any contributing files to sheet files to avoid circular references. No joy. Solution please asap.

PB

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

IanH,

Are you saying you also experiencing random shifts using SP3?

Please, submit a bug if you are running SP3 and you are still experiencing random shift in origin or in viewport locations.

We still don't know what's causing it, but it seems that if all the workgroup reference files are set to scale 1:1, then they arrive in the right spot. If not, they arrive in shifted (usually by just a small amount (eg 1 or 2 cm in the sheet file). So, currently we're trying remember to always set files to 1:1 scale when closing them, so they go through to other files they're referenced into as 1:1. It's very odd. We don't see why the scale of the reference should affect a sheetfile viewport when all the drawing lines etc are drawn correctly in the right place across all the various files.

PB

I experienced this problem, too. And I am the only one working on these referenced files, so no one else is moving the origins. The problem is exactly as Assemblage says -- opening a file with a WGR in the Viewport can result in all of the objects in the Annotation layer getting shifted diagonally by a small distance. So then I have to select all of the annotations and move them back. This seems to be a bug, and it has happened to me recently under SP3. The shifting behavior seems to be randomly occasional, and with no apparent cause. This can definitely be a program bug.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Bob-H,

What do you mean the Annotation layer? You cannot annotate design layer viewports like you can sheet layer viewports. Furthermore, if you are using design layer viewports as your referencing system, you cannot directly move objects. Please can you clarify the problem you are seeing and the method of referencing you are using so i can try to reproduce the problem?

Thanks,

Tolu

Tfapohunda,

I do mean the Annotation Layer -- for the viewport on the sheet layer. I do not use design layer viewports, as this is something new that I'm not familiar with (and this problem has occurred before DL vports, in version 12.5). So, the objects that shift are in the Annotation layer on the sheet layer's viewport (and these objects are leader text, dimensions, linework, etc.). And the background is a workgroup referenced plan file, with certain layers of the file referenced. The shifting occurs during the opening of the file in the sheet view. I may have also noticed shifting when updating a Workgroup Reference in the Annotation Edit mode for the viewport on the sheet, but I can't confirm that. This problem is the only major annoyance I have encountered. And I am certain it is identical to Assemblage's -- I was beginning to notice that we both use PowerBooks.

Thanks for looking into it,

Bob

If it's any help, this is how we structure our files: we do all our drawings in one or more files we call "design files". We then have a series of files we call "sheet files", and we use the sheet layers in these files to carry all the viewports and text (eg notes, title blocks etc). Like Bob, we don't use design layer viewports yet; all our viewports are on the sheet layers of our "sheet files". Any ideas??

Peter,

Try looking at the Ellicott Heights Project on the NNA BIM in Practice website. There is extensive use of DLVPs to do drawing/modeling in multiple files, but setting up a printing set in another file "Building_Model.vwx", using Sheet Layers.

Download the PDFs first take a look and then venture into the behemoth that is the project folder.

http://www.nemetschek.net/bim/projects.php

Edited by Jeffrey W Ouellette

Just yesterday, I opened up the C-1 Site Plan.vwx for a project (I also use individual sheet files, which reside in the same directory as the referenced files). C-1 has a WGR of the site drawing, shown on the Sheet Layer through a viewport, with annotations for dims and text. No plan rotation (at first I thought that was the problem). But once again, when I opened the file, the annotations for the viewport were shifted to the right. As much as I would like this problem to go away, it does not.