Managing large assemblies

I'm starting to find it difficult to manage complex assemblies, because I put the whole 3D model on one layer. If I put the different bits on separate layers, using Flyover or the standard views to examine it causes the model to appear to break up (it doesn't, of course, but it looks like it is). Managing all the parts as Classes isn't very satisfying...

How do you do this? I'd like to be able to lock several layers together so in Flyover everything stayed together. And I could make some of the layers invisible from time to time ? this would really help with the modeling.

thanks ? Michael Young

v2008 SP3 Machine Design & RW

Are you aware of the "stack layers" feature?

If your using a PC it appears near top right of screen and looks like the "layer" symbol (several sheets stacked over each other) with a vertical line (dimension) beside. Otherwise the stack layers feature is available I think from the "view" menu drop down.

You can have all your info spread across differnt layers and when the stack layer feature is activated you can rotate around as thou all the info is on one layer.

Hope that helps.