a better....DOOR TOOL

Chris D

Question

Three REALLY annoying things about the door tool (which just demonstrate a lack of knowledge of how doors are designed and scheduled in the UK, and probably other countries too):

1. Structural Opening size (can I hear a 'yay' from my countrymen?).

Doors in the UK are sized, designed, scheduled and ordered by Structural Opening Size, NOT by the leaf (panel) size. Frame thickness and panel size can vary between manufacturers. The primary 'door size' element of the Door object MUST refer to the SO size and NOT the panel size. [oh quick lesson - SO is the frame size plus packing/tolerance zone]

2. Project Door Types

Doors are almost always scheduled into 'Types', ie. if I have a typical 910-SO door, with no vision panel, 30 mins fire rating, with hardware package 'A', then that will become a project Door Type. I need to be able to set up door types, use them, manage them and schedule them as TYPES, not as individual doors. My last job had 1500 doors, with 15 or so TYPES. Naturally I didn't use the so-called Door Tool.

3. Scheduling

The trouble with scheduling is that it's fine on McMansions, but not on apartment blocks. If you have Apartment Types whose floor plans are symbolised for management, then you simply can't schedule the doors within the apartments in any sensible way. I need to be able to have the door number know which apartment it is in - and therefore need to schedule by hand. The scheduler is a gimmick at the moment, and one that is unwieldy, inflexible and difficult to use.

1 answer to this question

I wouldn't trust any automated scheduler...it's not going to assign the appropriate hardware or comments anyway...though I've found two way worksheets helpful in my quite limited experience.

The rest is just of the top of my head:

The location criteria is a tool which could possibly be used to make doors aware of their unit.

Likewise there's no rule requiring a door schedule to have only one database header.

It only has to appear continuous, not be such.

I don't think there will ever be a universal door scheduler...it's just the nature of the architectural professionalism and the physics of databases.

Scheduling Doors will always be a pita, as will developing the tools necessary to produce a particular architect's output.

It seems to me that your issue is more with the scheduling tools than the doors themselves.

Please correct me if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by brudgers