Construction Details

Depending on what you are detailing, its complexity and its expected reuse, there are generally three options:

1. Simply draw a 2D detail

2. Build the model in 3D and then take whatever views of the model that are necessary

3. Build a simplified hybrid model

#1 will probably be the quickest (and certainly deliver something useable earlier in the process), but offers little benefit with regards to re usability within the document. ie you need to draw each part of the detail for each view.

#2 will take longer to provide anything usable as you need to create the 3D model first to an acceptable level of detail, but once you have the model built, you can view it from any angle at a touch of a button and can easily section it. It is also easy to dimension directly from the model. You may however need to further annotate any view by adding hatches such as soil etc. The biggest benefit is that you actually have to build a model of what you ultimately need to build in real life. In doing this, you have to go through the thought processes needed to construct the detail for real. This can be time consuming, but it does result in a set of plans that can be built for real.

#3 A simplified hybrid model is quite a good compromise when you have started off in 2D and need to take a 3D snapshot of it. You need to project pertinent 2D elements to 3D at the most applicable height. The are a number of ways to do this, but the extrude tool is an easy way to start - take a copy of a 2D feature (to a different layer), turn it into a closed polygon then extrude it to the appropriate height, making sure it is solid. This will very quickly give a 3D view that can be used for simply cross sections and may even highlight some design issues. There are other ways of doing this and many different tools available including some Vectorworks tools that specifically do walls. doors, DTM's, stairs, hardscapes but, IMHO, these are too slow and limiting to use within the design process and limit presentation style but may be useful when viewing in 3D. Once you have the ability to do a section, you can then annotate this as required or, add more detail, either with a (full or partial) 3D model for the detail as in #2 or add 2D detailing as with #1. The down side of this method is that if you change the design, you need to change it in more than one place - the 2D design and the 3D model, but in your case, you have a completed 2D plan, so this is unlikely to impact too much. However, having a separate 3D view means that things can be classed differently or have a different set of attributes - for 2D, your attributes/classing may be quite limited and function based where as for 3D, you may want attributes/classes dependant on say material. You also have the option of turning a feature into a hybrid 2D/3D symbol and move the elements of this from your 2D plan into the 2D part of the symbol and add the 3D model to the 3D part of the symbol.

Don't under estimate the complexity in moving to 3D. For this reason, #3, the hybrid way is quite a good compromise to implement when the initial design had been finalised. I think of it as part of 'inking up' a pencil plan, along with adding presentation features.

At the end of the day, there is going to be more than one way of achieving what you want, so it is often giving a bit of thought to what the end result you need to achieve is (often on an element by element basis) and what stage you current are in. This will assist in not adding too much unnecessary detail which will slow down design work rate and any ultimate rendering. The two examples below give an idea of a detailed and realistic model and a simplified 3D view where slopes and construction detailing is of limited importance.

I have an image in the NNA gallery that if of a fairly basic wooden planter. The model was built in 3D using elements that were a direct analogy for the real world components - boards, planks, screws etc. Once the model was built, it was relatively simple to take different views of the model, including 2D & 3D sections isometric views. Dimensions could be taken directly from the model (because it was accurately modelled) and annotation placed were appropriate. The 3D views also allow detail that would otherwise be invisible to be easily viewed, without having to resort to dotted hidden line.

I also have an example of a work in progress hybrid model that I am working on. If you look closely, around the moongate you will notice that I need to resolve the design to cope with the change in levels - due to a late change in the 2D design. As its also work in progress, the 3D around the play frame has not yet been added. The furniture, Moongate, sheds and play frame are hybrid 2D/3D symbols that are part of both the 2D and 3D plan. If a construction detail was needed of the Moongate, the 3D model will be enhanced in detail and used as a basis of the construction plan. From this, a section elevation was easily created. Later, planting and textures may be added, although I normally do this in Piranesi as it is much quicker and allows for greater artistic control in the presentation.

Pretty tough to do a complete tutorial here on the techboard. Maybe a little time with the manual will help, then if you need to you can ask specific quesions.

It's hard to answer your quesion without knowing what your raised patio and steps look like. Post an image of it or the file itself here.

To be able to help we also need your version of VectorWorks and computer specs including OS version. The best way to do this is to create a signature by clicking on the My Stuff link at the top, My Profile.

Ian,

How do I start to create the 3D model. For example, an raised patio section with steps?

Thanks.

I would start with something simple. Select some 'surfaces' such as your patio and steps, copy them to a new layer then make each individual surface into a ***closed*** polygon - you may need to add some lines. Another way is, instead of creating a copy of items from another layer, simply use the polygon or rectangle tool to 'trace' over the features from an existing layer.

When you have got your items, it may be a raised patio/terrace, a couple of steps down then another step with some lawn, you need to extrude them to turn them into a 3D model. How you do this depends on your datum, but you need to ensure that the Z layer value is slightly lower than the lowest level that you will use - I use a datum of 50000 (50M) and in my current model, the lowest level is 48962 so I have set the Z value of the layer to 48900. Now, if for example I had a terrace at 49750, I would simply select the polygon and extrude it (control-E) to the value of 49750-48900, the maths of which can be done for you within the extrude tool and needs a little more thought if your datum is 0 and values go negative. I then get a rectangle, the size of the terrace/patio and 850mm deep. You need to make sure the extruded object is solid for it to render as a solid. Do this with the steps and lawn and you will very quickly have a 3D model that you can fly around. Surrounding planting beds are a little more tricky as these are generally not flat, but there are tools or shortcuts that can assist - DTM's or taking an average level can speed things through and there are lots of other tools available but will require to be learned.

• 2 months later...